From: Valery Smyslov [mailto:sva...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2017 10:39 AM
To: Scott Fluhrer (sfluhrer) <sfluh...@cisco.com>; David McGrew (mcgrew)
<mcg...@cisco.com>; Panos Kampanakis (pkampana) <pkamp...@cisco.com>
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org
Subject: Proposed text for the draft-fluhrer-qr-ikev2

Hi,

at the ipsecme meeting in Prague I was asked to contribute a text for the
draft-fluhrer-qr-ikev2 about operational considerations.
Here is my try. I think the text should be placed into a new section,
"Operational Considerations". Any thoughts?

Regards,
Valery.

X. Operational Considerations

This document provides a solution that doesn't replace classical public key
cryptographic mechanisms used in IKEv2, like (EC)DH or digital signatures .
Instead, the proposed solution extends these mechanisms by using an additional
security credential, namely PPK, to make IKEv2 secure against Quantum
Computers. In practice it means, that each peer must possess two security
credentials to successfully complete authentication - a classic one (like
certificate private key) and a PPK.

The need to maintain several independent sets of security credentials can
significantly complicate security administrators job, and can potentially slow
down widespread adoption of this solution. It is anticipated, that
administrators will try to simplify their job by decreasing the number of
credentials they need to maintain. Two possible approaches are given below.

X.1 Group PPK

This document doesn't explicitly require that PPK is unique for each pair of
peers.
If it is the case, then this solution provides full peer authentication, but it
also means that each host must have that many independent PPKs, how many peers
it is going to communicate with. As the number of hosts grows this will scale
badly.

It is possible to use a single PPK for a group of users. Since each peer uses
classical public key cryptography in addition to PPK for key exchange and
authentication, members of the group can neither impersonate each other nor
read other's traffic, unless they use Quantum Computers to break public key
operations.

Although it's probably safe to use group PPK in short term, the fact, that the
PPK is known to a (potentially large) group of users makes it more susceptible
to a theft. If an attacker equipped with a Quantum Computer get access to a
group PPK, then all the communications inside the group are revealed.

X.2 PPK-only Authentication

If Quantum Computers become a reality, classical public key cryptography will
provide little security, so administrators may find it attractive not to use it
at all for authentication. This will reduce the number of credentials they need
to maintain to PPKs only.

PPK-only authentication can be achieved in IKEv2 if NULL Authentication method
[RFC7619] is employed. Without PPK the NULL Authentication method provides no
authentication of peers, however since PPK is stirred into SK_pi and SK_pr, the
peers become authenticated if PPK is in use. Note, that using PPK MUST be
mandatory for both Initiator and Responder if PPK-only authentication (i.e. the
NULL Authentication method + PPK) is employed.

Combining group PPK and PPK-only authentication is NOT RECOMMENDED, since in
this case any member of the group can impersonate any other member even without
help of Quantum Computers.