On Mon, 18 Sep 2017, Linda Dunbar wrote:

If we need to use IPsec tunnels to connect a group of CPE devices, (as shown in
the figure I sent earlier), do you still need DNS? Or the Key
management will be managed by the "Zero Touch Deployment Service" in the figure
below?

You can use any protocol you want to validate the public key
needed. It can come from DNSSEC, a supplied X.509 CA cert, or you can
specify/implement another secure method. IKE allows for the pubkey to
be transmited and received. External processes can then determine the
authenticity of the pubkey (along with the ID presented)

The idea remains the same, you connect to a remote hostname or IP,
are given an ID and you use that ID to somehow/somewhere lookup what
pubkey belongs to that ID. Possibly also match that ID to the IP as
additional assurance. Then once the pubkey is trusted out-of-band,
you use it in-band to authenticate.

It could be querying a blockchain, confirming a bitcoin payment, a
centralised DNS zone,  the LetsEncrypt CA, a hardcoded list of pubkeys,
etc.

If you have the ID of entities you connect to (eg a hostname) then
things are easier to lookup then if you only know and IP address, and are
then given an ID. Because then you need to somehow verify the ID-IP set.
Otherwise, one node in a network can take over another node's IP
address, and present its own (valid!) credentials.

Paul