On Thu, 28 Sep 2017, Tero Kivinen wrote:

The original draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-gcm [1] had four differnet ICV
lengths: 4, 8, 12, and 16 octets, and they got numbers for all of them
[2]:

Ahh, so that's where it came from :)

for 8, 12, 16 octet versions came to be 18, 19, and 20, and the number
17 which was most likely allocated for the 4 octet ICV was marked as
reserved.

Except it is marked unassigned, not reserved. So one could use this
number in the future. I for sure have never seen it in the wild on
the wire or in source code. And if it is too weak, I guess we don't
mind breaking implementations who mistakenly still support it :)

Paul