On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Valery Smyslov wrote:

This is one particular implementation peculiarity, there
will be others that behaves oddly. The point is, if we introduce a new
Transform Type, it is very likely that backward compatibility can no
longer be achieved.

Again, it depends. If the majority of implementations immediately crash once
they
receive unknown transform, then I agree that we need another mechanism...
Most of other cases usually can be dealt with. Probably not all and probably
not as elegant as we wish, but still I believe they can.

We still have plenty of time to get the word out to those
implementations to fix their problem. By the time we have a
document ready for post quantum transforms, those implementations
should have been fixed. It's a little early now to deem this
an unsurmountable problem.

I prefer to reuse existing code for this and I see no reason why it cannot be
done.

I agree.

Paul