Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

Hi Valery,
Thanks for your quick reply.

>> 2. Section Upgrade procedure - We recommend changing the statement "As
>> an optional second step, after all nodes have been upgraded, the
>> administrator may then go back ... and mark the use of PPK as mandatory." to
>> "After all nodes have been upgraded, the administrator SHOULD go back ...".
>
> I don't think the proposed change is justified. The requirement language
> (MAY, SHOULD, MUST etc.) it IETF documents is usually used in
> protocol descriptions when some actions are required (or prohibited) to
> achieve interoperability. Section "Upgrade procedure" is not
> concerned with the protocol itself, it is just a recommended algorithm for
> upgrading some system for using PPK. It is not the only algorithm
> possible. And it isn't concerned with interoperability of different protocol
> implementations. So, I'd leave the text as is.

We agree with your interpretation that a capital SHOULD might not be
appropriate, but we still feel a lowercase "should" in place of "may" will
encourage more administrators to complete the upgrade procedure.

>> 3. IKEv2 with EAP authentication -the EAP-ikev2 protocol description
>> in the draft is different from that in the
>> EAP-IKEv2 RFC 5106 beyond what we expect because of PPK use (i.e
>> Initiator does not send an AUTH payload in the first EAP-Req message).
>
> This is a confusion. The draft is not relevant to RFC 5106, so the whole
> comment is a result of misunderstanding.
> Let me explain. The EAP protocol is a framework for various authentication
> protocols, called EAP methods.
> A lot of EAP methods are defined (see
> https://www.iana.org/assignments/eap-numbers/eap-numbers.xhtml#eap-numbers-4).
>
> The IKEv2 accommodates EAP as an alternative way to authenticate peers. How
> EAP is used in IKEv2 is defined in RFC 7296 - the core
> IKEv2 spec (in particular see Section 2.16). The confusion comes from the
> fact, that there is also an EAP method called EAP-IKEv2,
> defined in RFC 5106. This RFC describes how IKEv2-like protocol can be used
> inside EAP framework to achieve authentication, but it has
> nothing to do with how EAP framework is used within IKEv2. The draft is
> concerned with the latter, clarifying things for PPK use case.
> It is not concerned with EAP-IKEv2 EAP method.

We reviewed this again and you are completely right.  Thanks for explaining the
difference.

Best regards,
Jonathan