I applied your comments on my local copy. Please see some additional
comments inline.
Yours,
Daniel

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 12:30 PM Robert Moskowitz <rgm-...@htt-consult.com>
wrote:

> On 5/12/22 11:58, Daniel Migault wrote:
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> I apologize for the delayed response. I am happy to go back to this
> document.
>

> Good and thank you.
>
> I also see a tunnel application, but that will be for later.
>
> First UDP Transport and UDP BEET mode.
>
> I checked previous versions and did not find a UDP Transport mode example.
The current version is limited to UDP in tunnel mode. I do not expect much
changes, but that is something we can add. I also believe that BEET mode -
though no a standard might be good but that one I am pretty sure I never
drafted it.

> [...]
> experimental measurements we performed there:
>
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316348221_Diet-ESP_IP_layer_security_for_IoT
>
> Obviously it being last published in '19 some drafts are now RFCs and
>> thus need updating.
>>
>> Sure ;-)
>
>> Page 5 at top:
>>
>> Non ESP fields may be compressed by ESP under
>>     certain circumstances, but EHC is not intended to provide a generic
>>     way outside of ESP to compress these protocols.
>>
>> How does EHC work with SCHC CoAP compression, rfc 8824?  I would think
>> this is a must work with...
>>
>> I agree that is something we should consider and probably clarify.
> Diet-ESP is  not intended to provide some compression beyond what is being
> used for TS. I do not see CoAP as part of these TS, and as such, I would
> expect the compression associated to CoAP to be handled "after Diet-ESP".
> Not having read how SCHC compresses CoAP, I Assume that SCHC CoAP
> compresses also the UDP/IP part which ends in the compressed CoAP packet
> not being an IP packet. On the sender side, when IPsec is applied to such
> packet, there is a need that this compressed CoAP packet matches the SPD TS
> - unless these are set to ANY. So my first question would be how SCHC
> CoAP works with IPsec ?
>

> Most of the SCHC CoAP rfc deals with the CoAP headers, and any UDP
> consideration is out-of-scope.  Even with UDP/DTLS, 8824 is silent.  I
> think.
>
> So this draft can easily ignore CoAP.  It took me a bit of reading to get
> to this point..
>

> Assuming the compressed packet is protected by IPsec, only the ESP fields
> will be subject to compression. On the other hand, if IPsec requires some
> fields, there is probably a need to request Diet-ESP to compress what
> SCHC(CoAP) has not compressed to make IPsec work.
>

> As far as diet-esp is concerned any 8824 CoAP compression is just data
> payload.  The SCHC RuleID is the first field either in the UDP data or the
> DTLS data.
>

>>     As depicted in Figure 1, the EHC Strategy - Diet-ESP in our case -
>>     and the EHC Context are agreed upon between the two peers, e.g.
>>     during key exchange.  The EHC Rules are to be implemented on the
>>     peers and do not require further agreement.
>>
>> Can the EHC Strategy, Context, and Rules be static between two hosts?
>> This is of interest to me with Network Remote ID where these will always
>> be the same (I think so far) between the UA and Service Provider.
>>
>> In fact if aligned with SCHC, static is the norm which can be overridden
>> during a key exchange.  This approach would allow the key exchange to be
>> unmodified to support diet-esp.
>>
>> Rules are static and require only to agree on a very small number of
> parameters via IKEv2. What I do not think we considered is the exchange of
> additional SCHC rules.
>

> I just asked this again in my latest missive.  I think you need the IKE

yes, I am wondering if adding some SCHC IDs would be sufficient or if
something more would be needed.

--
Daniel Migault
Ericsson