On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 08:06:02AM +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just had a discussion with people from an ISP in the process of
> implementing IPv6. They were afraid of turning on IPv6 for customers
> who had purchased their own routers themselves, because these
> routers might not have IPv6 firewalling on by default, thus exposing
> customers who used to be "protected" by IPv4 NAT, to now be exposed
> with unfirewalled IPv6.
>
> So my question:
>
> Devices that people buy in electronics stores etc, do they even come
> with IPv6 turned on by default?

With the AVM Fritz!Box line - yes - its enabled by default - And yes,
even the firewalling.

Nevertheless - As an ISP i would never enable IPv6 for Customers
without beeing shure that they are aware.

- Deploy IPv6 Dualstack from some point in time and making it clear
  in your paperwork.
- Make it an option for legacy users to opt in.
- After some time - send emails telling the users
- Enable a captive portal for users to let them enable ipv6

If you are a xDSL provider you can even make this based on the
DSL Vendor and Version you get in the xDSL Handshake. You even
know what CPE the customer has and if its IPv6 Capable at all
or if its safe to enable.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de