Hi,

On Sun, Oct 06, 2019 at 10:49:02AM +0300, d...@barletford.com wrote:
> Which comes with some routing questions: how do you map the /48 with the
> CPE?
> Is there some kind of OSPF-like protocol that allows the ONT to
> advertise the delegated class?
> Do you add all possible routes in the router at the beginning, but then
> end up with 100k routes in an area with 5k customers?
> Do you programmatically add the routes when activating a client? Is
> there a standard for that?

This is no different from IPv4, effectively.

In IPv4, a client is handed "a single IPv4 address", by whatever means
(RADIUS backend, DHCP backend, local pool on the PE router, static
routes...) and this IPv4 address is then either injected into OSPF/iBGP
or aggregated into "network, please send me only the /23 supernet".

Same for IPv6 - depending on your gear, you either do the /48 assignment
on the PE router (BRAS) by means of "static" or "DHCPv6" or "pool", or
you involve a backend server (DHCPv6 relay, RADIUS, ...) to tell the
PE what to send where.  Then, either aggregate on the PE ("send this
/40 to me, no specific routes") or redistribute to iBGP - which depends
on network structure, aggregation boundaries, number of customers
(if you have 5k customers, just send to iBGP, and be done with it,
if you have 5m customers, you will want multiple layers of internal
aggregation).

Since this depends on what your ISP gear can do *and* how the ISP is
generally set up (business customers with static assignments, or
only dynamic assignments for residents, ...) and how their IPv4
provisioning tools operate, the "correct" answer depends.  So it's
not trivial to tell "this is the standard" - there are multiple, and
they all have their upsides and downsides.

As Lee said "just labour".

[..]
> The result: I asked my customer if he has enough IPv4 addresses for the
> next 3 years. He said yes, so my recommendation was: wait for a couple
> of years.

I think you are a bit lazy.  Nobody else will be able to tell you what
the right answer is for your customer network, because nobody *knows*
your customer network.  We can tell you what options and protocols exist,
but only you and your ISP customer know the equipment, the equipment's
capabilities, and how the existing network is operating.

If you have specific questions ("I have a PE router from vendor X, and
when I try to redistribute DHCPv6-relay into RIPng, the ethernet plugs
all fall out"), there are people here or on the more vendor-specific
lists (https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/) which will be happy
to help.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279