On 05/10/2021 09:38, Dean Westhead wrote:
I may be missing something, but since the commit changed the file src/util/geniso to src/util/genfsimg, I have not been able to generate an ISO file that can be used to boot both BIOS and UEFI ... it always only boots BIOS.

I admit that the changes that i was told to make to the geniso file, i cant make to genfsimg becasue it is very different and i dont want to break anything else in it !

Am I doing something wrong or is there a different set of instructions to modify genfsimg to make it create this ISO correctly ?

You no longer need to make any modifications to genfsimg: it is already capable of building a combined BIOS and UEFI ISO (and can also handle multiple UEFI architectures, if you want e.g. a combined ISO that can handle BIOS, x86_64 UEFI, and AArch64 UEFI).

As per "./util/genfsimg -h":

usage: ./util/genfsimg [OPTIONS] foo.lkrn|foo.efi [bar.lkrn|bar.efi,...]

where OPTIONS are:
 -h         show this help
 -o FILE    save image to file
 -p PAD     pad filesystem (in kB)
 -s SCRIPT  use executable script

so you can build a combined image in two stages using e.g.

  make bin/ipxe.lkrn bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi

  ./util/genfsimg -o combined.iso \
      bin/ipxe.lkrn bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi

You can also use the "-s" option to specify a script that will be used by platforms (without needing to build using EMBED=...). This is particularly useful if you build an editable FAT filesystem image instead of an ISO, using e.g.

  ./util/genfsimg -o combined.img -s myscript.ipxe \
      bin/ipxe.lkrn bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi

since you can then mount the FAT filesystem image and edit the script (saved as "autoexec.ipxe") without needing to recompile.

Michael