The two "carriers" on either side of the main carrier at 1610 are
exactly what you would expect from a transmitter broadcasting a single
test tone.  These aren't really separate carriers, but sidebands
resulting from the test tone being modulated onto the carrier.

Remember, when you amplitude modulate a continuous wave, you get
sidebands whose frequncies are (carrier freq + audio freq) and (carrier
freq - audio freq).

If the only audio you are modulating onto the 1610 kHz carrier is a 1
kHz tone, then the side bands will be continuous waves (kinda like
carriers) at 1609 and 1611 kHz.

OK, I suppose that it's *possible* that someone is transmitting three
separate carriers at 1609, 1610 and 1611, but it's much more likely that
it's someone transmitting a 1 kHz test tone modulated onto 1610 kHz.

Bob Young wrote:
> That's exactly what I'm getting also, I believe this mystery tone is a het
> from these two carriers, they are both 1khz from 1610 and give the same tone
> on all three frequencies. I also get this same het note from 1521 Saudi
> Arabia mixing with WWKB 1520. I believe both carriers are from the same
> source also as they both fade at the same time and are of the same signal
> strength. I can null out the tone on all three carriers also with the
> phaser, it is easier on the 600 with the crystal phaser which eliminates
> hetorodynes without phasing.
>
> Bob Young
> Millbury, Ma
> R-390A, SP-600 2 400' LW's, Misek Phaser
>
>>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>To: irca@hard-core-dx.com
>>Subject: Re: [IRCA] carriers on 1609 and 1611
>>Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:02:45 EST
>>
>>Bob -
>>
>>Alright,
>>
>>  So I'm not all that far gone. This is what I heard when first alerted -
>>two
>>clearly discernible tones 1609 & 1611 on 51J-4 w/BFO & 3 KHz filter.
>>Curious.
>>

>>       =Z.=
>>
>>Dr. Zeoc ha
>>s0op va]-43h
>>dhoc-  s++20
>>
>>whulp
>>original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the
>>IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers
>>
>>For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org

Mike Westfall, N6KUY, WDX6O
Los Alamos, New Mexico (DM65uv)
"Los Alamos" is Spanish for "More than one Alamo" -- Dave Barry
Online logbooks: http://dxlogbook.gentoo.net?account=mikew
Read my blog:    http://mesamike.gentoo.net