Hi Konnie,

I think the issue here is not "whether" stations who test are asked to QSL,
but "what" actually constitutes a QSL. Speaking from experience and many
conversations with previous BTCs Les and J.D., I can testify to the fact
that it is becoming more and more difficult to get stations and CE's
(whether hams or not) to even consider doing a test. We are lucky to get a
10 percent response on our requests for tests, and even fewer of those are
affirmatives.

When I contact a station, part of the request is always a clear explanation
that DXers who send reception reports are going to expect to hear back from
the station with a verification of their reception if their report is
correct. The brochure that goes along in each test request package also
includes an explanation of QSLing and makes it clear that DXers have that
expectation in response to a reception report.

As I said before, I don't think it is appropriate - especially since the
station is generally doing us a BIG favor by conducting the test - to insist
that their responses to DXers be done jot and tittle the way we want. Again,
this is not an area where I believe a major education program for
broadcasters is appropriate.

Yes, I am a ham, and on those rare occasions when I get a request for a QSL,
I do so 100 percent. I can’t say the same for all other hams. Sometimes I
get stiffed there too, just as I do by broadcasters. Your comparison between
ham QSLing and BCB QSLing seems a little flawed to me, since for hams, it
should be an integral part of the hobby with (theoretically) two willing
participants, while for BCB QSLing it is a very one-sided and tangential
aspect, with broadcasters having a very limited - if any - interest in
QSLing.

All tests that we have scheduled this season have agreed to respond directly
to DXers with verifications. If the quality of the QSL or verie is not up to
your standards Konnie, I apologize. I would invite you to contact any
stations which you feel have not provided the kind of response you want and
work it out between the two of you. But if you choose to do this, please be
polite and don't alienate the station personnel from future DXers by making
inappropriate demands.

As for no response at all, if you run into this problem, I will be more than
happy to go to bat and try to explain to the person at the station just how
important a QSL is, and do whatever is necessary to illicit their
cooperation. I've already done this for a few tests from years past.

OK - I hope this horse is officially dead, since my arm is getting tired
beating it. However, if other DXers want to chime in with their opinions,
I'm always happy to listen and learn.

73s, Jim