Gee,

It was a very interesting morning! The reception pattern continues to be somewhat unusual, with a very abrupt, pronounced peak for ten minutes right at dawn, rather than ramping up and then dropping rapidly. This morning, for only the second time this season, there was an extended post-dawn Asian morning, with the Big Gun Japanese improving to solid 9s well after dawn.

In the pre-dawn enhancement, a full 30 minutes before dawn, things were fairly average or just above, but there were still several interesting things...

540: Beside an echo-ridden CNR1, there was another Asian signal here. Wonder what it was?

756: More CNR1s with Echo effects

810: Intermixed with KGO and the semi-local religious station, I'd almost swear that I was hearing Japanese, but the only one listed is the big AFN US military station, so I guess that it was Pyongyang. None of the Russian or CC stations indicate breoadcasts in JJ.

846 & 864: Both of these frequencies continue to show what appear to be open carriers, sometimes at quite strong levels. Occasionally, I hear programming that may either be a second station or the primary being WAY under-modulated. WHO?

891: The star of the morning was 891, with occasional pop music numbers and a man talking. I first noted it at 1330, 25 minutes pre-dawn, with an "in-your-face" level 9 signal. I am not sure of the language.... unless it is Korean that I recognize with only limited confidence (I'm pretty sure that it was NOT KK) I know that it was not standard CC, RR, JJ, VV or any Pacific Island language. More by elimination than knowledge, I think it was Thailand. They have a megawatt US transmitter on 891 that Patrick has reported in past seasons with some regularity and that several of us have caught a few times at Grayland. The PAL listed // was in-active and Asia Waves frequency for Radio Thailand in Thai was not //, if the 7 MHz. frequency was even them. The signal faded down into the murk after 5 minutes or so, but was present again at 1355 recheck. I followed it to 1402, but it was too low to catch an ID at 1400, of course. It did have a 2+1 TC at 1400, however. This evening, I'll try to post a recording and hope for some assistance.

1053: I continue to hear some programming most mornings here. Only once out of about 20 mornings has it - maybe - been // to North Korea 2850. Unfortunately, it has never gotten to the level of sure language recognition. I'm fairly sure that at least part of the time it is Nagoya, but there may be two or three stations that show here from time to time.

The upper band continued to be less than past years, but better than the past weeks. The usual suspects.

I'm going down to Grayland for Tuesday through Thursday dawns next week. Maybe I can sort a few of these things out.

John B.