After I uploaded yesterday, I got to thinking how ungrateful I was for the less than wonderful conditions down here. After all it is quite a bit of expense and two long travel days to come to Grayland from Orcas and return... and to find reception no better than at home is a downer. STILL, the first morning at Grayland did bring me more than 60 TP loggings, some at quite good levels. I'm rather sure that in a few years when the Sun Spot Cycle really kicks in, we would all be overjoyed to have 60 TPs on a full DXpedition! So, forgive me for being a whiner!

This morning was a repeat of yesterday.... if anything, it was a bit poorer. Again, the Japanese were in fairly well, but all except the quite regular Koreans and Chinese were missing or down in the mud.... and no exotic Thai, Indian or god help us, Andaman Islands (!!!!!) stations were evident. I did watch 1548 like a hawk for DW Sri Lanka, now almost a Fall regular for Bruce and Chuck, but nothing rose above the murmur level.

Still, I added 15 stations to the log, including Aussie powerhouses on 612, 576 and 792 during a minor post-dawn DU opening.... it may have been a more extensive opening, but the DU path is almost off the side of my "Asia all the way" Wellbrook aimed at 305 degrees (Aussies are out at 240 degrees or so.) The more unusual JJs were 648 JOIG NHK1, Toyama; 1413 JOIF, Fukuoka; 603, NHK1 Synchros and 1593, NHK2 Synchros wiping out CNR1's synchros. I also managed a reportable logging of KOTZ, 720 Kotzebue, Alaska to see, yet again, if I can get a QSL out of this NPR station.

I gotta admit feeling sorry for my long-time DX partner, Guy Atkins on this trip. He is trying out a new Lankford Array down at the State Park, a mile to my south. We have light rain, 45 degrees and fairly high wind now and for the next four or five days; Guy is in a (very nice) tent, camped in low coastal trees and heavy brush, 200 rainey feet from the nearest toilet. Room 15 at the Grayland Motel never felt so good :>)

Given that this is the heart of the Asian Season, Guy and I both are hoping for improved conditions for tomorrow.

John B.
WinRadio 313e + Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Array at 305 degrees
Grayland, WA, USA