On Wednesday 21 October 2009 20:30, Walter Salmaniw wrote:
> Barry, don't be so sure.  KGO is VERY strong here as well, but it's
> a very clean signal with talk, pauses, etc.  So, a fair amount of
> dead air, and under all of this you can pick up distant DX.
>  Remember, KPUG on 1170 is only a few km away from my QTH, and yet
> I can easily hear TPs cochannel each morning.  It can be
> done!....Walt

I agree it can be done under some conditions, when everything falls
into place.  I've heard both Vatican Radio and Sao Tome et Principe
on 1530, by carefully tweaking things to get channel dominant WCKY
out of the way... but, like 810 out west, 1530 here is an unusually
clear channel if you can get past that one major occupant.  However,
most of the "clear" channels around here are anything but.  You peel
away the dominant station, only to reveal more domestic stuff, or
Cubans, or whatever, covering up possible TAs.  A particular problem
here on 810 is CJVA, who, I don't mind saying, are cheating like
bandits at night, and have been for years.

> PS:  Now IBOC, that's another problem, and
> unfortunately it will ruin a good chunk of spectrum.

You bet - channels ruined here number in the dozens!  I have enough
manmade noise already, without getting jammed from hundreds of miles
away.  :-(

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON