Sorry that I didn't report yesterday: it was just so depressing! I worked on my attitude overnight and, sure enough, things were improved quite a bit this morning!

The lower band was.... at least at some point between 1400 and 1500... about 80% full of audio... up markedly from yesterday, especially in the 800 to 1100 area which was largely missing yesterday. The upper band (1100 up) had 7 stations at least murmuring yesterday and it had 20 stations this morning.

As Nick noted, few of the signals stayed at good strength for very long, but there WAS quite a bit of improvement.

That said, there wasn'r much that I found interesting....

The most interesting thing has been to watch the residual ionization conditions increase as the season gets later. I'm hearing more and more stuff from the Prairies, especially the Canadian Prairie Provinces that are lasting clear until dawn out here, even past dawn. It is just not "normal" to hear 540 Manitoba at LSR dawn here... and Idaho wiping out Portland on 1080 (that's probably a daytimer issue) and "W-1440" at dawn (up near Edmonton) wiping out the Japanese and two Oregon stations. There are a number of other examples. Its kinda nifty to see seasonality at work, but geez, I wish it would stay away from the 9 kHz. splits!

I was also interested to see two other channels (along with 1107) that clearly had multiple carriers, spread over half a kHz or so: 1035 and 1503 this morning... both really spread out. I've seen 1503 a number of times like that before, but rarely 1035. Now that I know what to look for, thanks to Chuck and Bruce, I'll probably see others. I remember last year, there was what must have been a mid-level carrier on with 675 Vietnam. It never bothered the audio and the top of the carrier spike of VoV was clean and steady, but this funny other carrier oscillated back and forth in frequency about .3 kHz above and below VoV, about 2 or 3 times a second. The combination of the two carriers looked "just like" a hula dancer shaking her hips. I've obviously been DXing too much.... starting to see porn on the oscilloscope!

So, conditions seem to be improving, though I obviously need to "get out more."

John Bryant
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Winradio G313e and various Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Array + Superloops