Hi Walt
You'll almost be in Honolulu by now...fascinating to track your listening
across the Pacific.
As you've found, it's a bit of a wasteland in terms of signals originating
within the islands themselves.
You heard nothing from American Samoa because nothing is on the air. KJAL
has been silent for about a year, and the recent photo I have of the tower
shows it's heavily rusted after a few short years and is too short for lower
frequencies so has no value for the planned KKHJ and WVUV AM outlets.
Auckland's Radio Tarana 1386 with 10kW is beamed towards Fiji to provide an
alternative service at night for the Indian community.
I'm surprised you've heard nothing of Majuro 1098 with 25kW, as this is
getting into NZ over Christchurch.
There are clearly some propagation things happening in the mid-Pacific, as
I've DX'd now from Samoa, Tahiti and Hawaii and noticed the same absence of
island stations in the same latitudes, and the absence of Queensland
stations or PNG is also noticeable.
I think you asked about VL2NI 1566 on Norfolk. It runs 50w and so in the
daytime will go nowhere without your having a longwire. From early evening
it carries Radio NZ National.
Your observations about NZ MW programming were interesting to read - yes, it
gets a bit boring, but at least sports and talk shows allow signals under to
be separated out!
There are a small number of Kiwi AM's with independent programs - 729 Burn,
756 Puketapu, 1440 Goldrush; some of the Maori stations [state funded] such
as 765 Hawkes Bay, 1161 Wellington, 1440 Tauranga for instance, 1593 Radio
Samoa, Access stations [state funded] such as 783, 1206, 1431, 1575...and
the two heritage AM's I had in mind when commenting to you - 1368 Village
1XT and 1413 Ferrymead 3XP. So, it's not as bleak as it could be, but pretty
much a network situation for 95% of stations and most of them from just
10-12 studios of which all but 1 [RNZ National] are in Auckland.
Wonderful to catch up with you in Wellington, and most enjoyable to see the
results of your cruising DX as well. Interesting to see that CBR, CBW, CBU
[old friends from my 70's DX] are still reaching towards NZ.....we just have
too much local QRM these days to really hear them any more.
Cheers
David Ricquish
Wellington NZ