I had my worst TP morning of this trip.... mainly because I packed my radios yesterday. Today is final packing and then tomorrow we head down I-5 to Bakersfield/Barstow and hang a left. We are going to try to break the trip up some this year, with a day here and half a day there, so it will likely be about a week before we make it to the South Prairie in Oklahoma.

Thanks very much from all of the help from the other members of the NW Gang. One of the real pleasures of DXing out here is having such close friends to enjoy this insanity along side. My only regret is that I got to see so few of you in person. I totally missed the Victoria guys this year and saw far less than half of the Seatac crowd. Still, we've been doing this together long enough that is a good visit, if only by e-mail. It was exactly twenty years ago this February that Guy and I made that fabled first tip to the Grayland motel. We heard almost every Pacific Island nation, including Tuvalu and were hooked on TPs on MW. In March of 1990, there was a massive DXpedition at the Grayland Beach State Park with Dave Clark from Toronto and more than half of the NW group that is still making trips down there.

I got a real laugh a couple of months ago when several of us were discussing a lovely campground west of Port Angeles on the Washington side of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. It looks like a perfect place for fall DXpeditions for Asia. Nick Hall-Patch pointed out that the worst thing about this place was that one had to CAMP OUT. He allowed as maybe the soft beds, flush toilets and complete kitchens in the Grayland Motel units had spoiled him for the vagaries of CAMPING OUT. Why I remember full well the DXpeditions in the 80s and first half of the 90s when Nick drove his little pickup truck to various DX sites and DXed mosta the night from the cab and then slept half the day in the seated position.... all in the cab of that little truck. I also remember going potty in the deep brush while keeping watch (both ways) for the local mama bear and her cub.

Time marches on, eh????

It's been a fabulous Fall Season... I hope that each of my co-conspirators enjoyed it at least half as much as I did!

John B.
WinRadio 313e + Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Arrays, SW and NW
Grayland, WA, USA