Hi all:

As a follow-up to what Guy mentioned below, I tried a couple more things:
 - I tried to stretch a standard Slinky out far enough to get the "turns
per foot" ratio down far enough, but standard Slinkys don't stretch that
far - they just permanently deform (every child's nightmare...)
 - I wrapped a 2" PVC frame with a gradual wire spiral that achieved the
"magic" 2:1 conductor-to-antenna length ratio.  This simulated a Slinky
that was actually stretched out far enough.  There was absolutely NO
difference between this and a standard straight-wire loop.

So, I have delegated my Slinkys, deformed or not, to the dust bin!

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA