The legend in Southern Illinois was that when Illinois was first established,
its breadbasket was in the deep southern end of the state, and up in the cold
and frozen north, that city that had little chance of succeeding, namely
Chicago, to get food, they had to go south to Southern Illinois. It was like
"going down to Egypt." Cairo, where the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers met, was
expected to be one of the greatest American cities, and several other little
towns in Southern Illinois were named after Egyptian cities -- such as Karnak
and Thebes. The high school in Tamms, Illinois, close to Cairo, uses as its
sports knickname the Egyptians. Shawneetown was thought to be the eventual
capital of Illinois, but that didn't happen.

I'm about to copy the Fall 1947 White's Radio Log, which was my guide when I
first started "fishing" on October 27, 1947. If I remember correctly, my local
commercial station at the time, KRUL, was too new to have been in that edition
of the log, and it was so strong, I thought it must be more powerful than the
other 250-watt stations on 1340 ... I listed it in my log as 50,000 watts!

QRM, Krum TX

(63 years ago, KRUL; now KRUM)