Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your report on the 702 kHz carriers in Alberta.

I'm sure that I had the off-frequency North Korean producing the
raspy-sounding 702 kHz carrier here this morning. North Korea seems to have a
propagation pipeline to here, unlike Australia. 702-2BL (and the other DU's)
almost never produce even a trace here in the Puyallup valley, a notorious
DU-dead zone. That is one reason why our family made two trips to the  Oregon
coast this summer (ostensibly for sightseeing, but confidentially,  for
DU-chasing).

73, Gary

In a message dated 9/19/2010 2:57:48 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
n...@shaw.ca writes:

d1028g...@aol.com wrote:

>One interesting find around  1325 was a strong, ragged carrier on 702 kHz
(a
> frequency with severe  710-Seattle splatter here), which sounded  like a
>typical  (rickety) North Korean transmitter.

Interesting you should note  that Gary, as I've observed two carriers on
702 the last couple of  mornings.   I'm guessing the on-frequency one was
from  Australia, but I had a weaker one on about 702.04 kHz, which could
well be  North Korean, as you say.  Nowhere near audio here, but easily
discernable on the Perseus  display.

73,

Nigel
original  contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA,
its  editors, publishing staff, or officers

For more information:  http://www.ircaonline.org