Hi Rick, I had a SW8 & would not recommend it for FM. Selectivity is not all
that it could be & no RDS. It is a good unit on other bands but I started to
have a problem with part of a digit disappearing. It also quit working on
batteries.

My favorite overall for FM DX is the new Sangean CL-100 FM/MW/WX table radio
about 7" long by 5" deep by 2" high. Comes with AC adapter & can use 4 AA. No
signal strength indicator & a 2 second mute changing frequencies, but excellent
performance with RBDS & DSP. I paid about $66 (from Amazon).
Receives adjacent to non-IBOC FM locals. Amazon has easy returns but this radio
has 4 or 5 star ratings from everyone on there.

The CL-100 comes with a magnetic mount antenna that plugs into RCA jack, at the
end of a 6' cable. AM ant & ground screws.

MW is good but only 10 kHz steps & seems only a single selectivity. Gets
adjacent to locals. Has 3" speaker, 1 watt amplifier, bass & treble controls,
external antenna connections. Gets a fairly decent signal from your local 590
all day with internal antenna.

For pocket radio, I use the Tecsun PL-310. FM performance like Sangean but no
RDS. Does have LW (poor) MW/SW OK with selectivities of 12/8/6/4/2 kHz.
Numerical signal strength reading. Only about $60 from Ms. Joyce (anon-co on
eBay) & she checks them before shipping in case the factory let a lemon go out.
Volume is jumpy on weak fady signals. Got unreadable audio on MW f/W Eu, NW Afr
& Japan.

The Kenwood R-5000 I read has internal temperature of 114 degrees, don't know
if that's cause for worry. I only had the R-1000 & don't recall it getting hot.
The Sony tuner also runs hot. Reviews online of many radios. eham.net is pretty
good for that & Amazon for current models.

The very new Sangean ATS-909X might be excellent ($260). I expect online
reviews to be appearing in the next week or two. 73, George S., MN