Mike:

The DT-400W receiver's primary drawback is its price.  I notice retailers now
list it for $69.95.  I've owned mine since 2008 and pay less then.

Like most of the smaller ultralight receivers, selectivity is occasionally a
problem when you tuned to a weak signal adjacent to a stronger one.  It isn't
as noticeable at night as in the daytime.   Some DX-ers have improve it's
selectivity by removing the stock filter and carefully replacing it with a
LTM450HT filter.

It works very well when coupled with a 7-inch FSL antenna.  I'm presently
hearing 540 KWMT, Ft. Dodge IA (5 kW @ 734 km/456 mi) on the DT-400W with the
FSL.  It isn't here audible without it.  There is some 550 KFRM slop, and
slight co-channel QRM from KDFT.  I will admit KWMT is more listenable (100%
readable) on a smaller, but more expensive Sony SRF-T615 (with the FSL), with
less KFRM QRM.

The SRF-T615 is the best of all truly ultralight radio sets.  Most of the
stations I've logged were with a barefoot T615, including JOAB, JOAK, JOBB,
JOBK, and JOUB, as well as 1215 Absolute Radio.  The very selective Tecsun DSL
receivers weren't yet available.  I now use a PL-310 or -606 for trans-oceanic
DX.

Good DX.

Richard.

Richard Allen,