Hello All,

This morning was my last session at the cold and windswept Cliff (although at
least the weather was clear). Not at all satisfied with the anemic DU's showing
up around local sunrise, I decided to shift the focus to South Pacific sunset
DXing (from 0800-1030 UTC, or from 0100-0330 local time). Of course, there
would also be an Asian TP chase session as usual from 1030-1400 UTC (or
0330-0700 local time). I mean, as long as you are going to be fanatical in
chasing transoceanic DX on a frigid, windswept cliff, why not go all of the way?

The DU sunset strategy paid immediate dividends as the shy Kiwis started coming
out of the woodwork. 765-Kahungunu was rolling in at a vibrant level around
0115, while 738-Tahiti was back to its usual energetic signal. 1017-Tonga was
in and out at a fair level from 0830-1000, and 594-NZ Rhema showed up with a
fair-level sermon. Kiwis on 603, 657, 828 and 1503 made their first weak
appearances, and although the DU's were still well below their summer levels, I
got the impression that this was about as good as the DU's get during the
touch-and-go April propagation.

The Chinese finally arrived at the Cliff with vibrant signals from 963-CRI,
1017-CRI and 1323-CRI, while several more Big Gun Asians tested the crunch
resistance of my Ultralight radio around sunrise. Full details (and MP3's) will
be posted after our return to Puyallup later today. It was a totally wild ride
for the past 3 days-- I wish that all of you could have experienced the
excitement of "Cliffhanger DXing!"

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Cannon Beach, OR)