 Subject: Re: [NRC-AM] TWR Bonaire "Power Up Project"
 To: a...@nrcdxas.org
 Date: Thursday, April 16, 2015, 4:07 AM

 Correct my memory if
 necessary, but didn't PJB-800 have to power down
 from 500k because of a (potential) shortage of
 electricity on Bonaire
 needed to power the
 500k transmitter?

 Bob
 Galerstein WB2VGD
 Monroe, NY

 On 4/15/2015 11:00 PM, Stewart, Joseph R
 wrote:
 > I honestly can't recall
 seeing this anywhere but on TWR's own website (http://www.twr.org/powerup)...
 they're trying to raise $3.8 million to boost power on
 PJB Bonaire-800 kHz from the current 100kW up to 450kW (just
 short of the 500kW they used from sign-on in 1964 into,
 what, sometime in the 1990s?). No idea why they aren't
 going for the last 50,000 watts that would get it back up to
 the original 500kW level.  There's a video on the site
 that shows proposed directional patterns for the new tx--the
 "north" beam will be farther west than currently,
 basically beamed right at Cuba, the Yucatan peninsula,
 northern Mexico and up into the western U.S. The south
 pattern would blanket all of Venezuela and Guyana, the
 eastern half of Colombia, the western half of Surinam, and
 the extreme north of Brazil.  There will also be a ND
 "Caribbean" pattern at some time during their
 broadcast day (or rather, night).  Despite the tweaking of
 the DA pattern--and the large amount of competition on the
 >   frequency--presumably the
 power increase will make it an easier target for North
 American DXers once again.  I don't think I've
 conclusively logged PJB here in Missouri since they cut
 power. Before that of course it was a nightly regular for
 many years.
 > Randy Stewart
 > Battlefield MO

--- End Message ---