--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when
changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period
to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as
specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also
VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives
without much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and
publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open
access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page36

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of
USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in
frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 1330 & 1450, July 13 at 1834 UT I am doing a mid-day bandscan on
the caradio, and find JBA hets here, on 1330 against KNSS, and 1450 weaker
against KSIW/KGFF remnants. So now local KCRC 1390- Enid is putting out spurs
not only at almost plus/minus 30 kHz, making unmistakable modulated hets
against 1360 and 1420, but also at double that, plus/minus ~60 kHz (Glenn
Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1530, UT Saturday July 11 at 0226 UT, no sign of KXTD Wagoner OK,
La Qué Buena, cheating after 0145 UT sunset, as I have been hearing previous
eves; what`s wrong? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** U S A. 600, July 10 at 0457 UT, Jim Bohannon is wrapping up third live hour.
He used to be on WMT Cedar Rapids, and 0459 UT ID for WMT, 0500 UT Fox
``news``. Still looking for KSJB ND to show up again if really back on full
power, rebuilt antennas. There are no loud & clear signals here for Jimbo from
0307 UT; and he`s no longer on WMT, so I must have been hearing KTBB Tyler TX,
where per
http://www.jimbotalk.net station finder only his third hour is carried (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 600, July 12 at 0557 UT, ID for KTBB-FM, some rock music, but it`s
really a bit in `Texas Overnight`, instead of `Jim Bohannon`, since this is a
weekend, UT Sunday. Didn`t catch the FM frequency, but NRC AM Log lists
translator K236BG on 95.1, yet slogan as ``NewsTalk AM 600/95.7 FM``. ?? WTFDA
database shows no Tyler on 95.1 or 95.7, and no K236BG. Instead the ``FM`` of
KTBB 600 is: 250 watt translator K239CB, 95.7 in QUITMAN TX which is about 30
miles NNW of Tyler.

I was of course, re-rechecking for KSJB ND on 600, but still no sign of it,
allegedly back on full 5 kW power with rebuilt antenna system (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 600, July 13 at 0505 UT, KTBB Tyler TX again, this time IDing as
KTBB-FM 97.5. WTFDA Database shows that is 13 kW, 121m in Troup TX, supposedly
IDing as ``Talk 600``. Cf. previous log where the related FM was found to be a
translator in Quitman on 95.7, the frequency I thought was announced at that
time --- maybe they rotate in mentions of the frequencies of translator(s) too.
Troup is about 15 miles SSE of Tyler. Then into `Texas Overnight` from the
Texas State Network (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Still no sign of KSJB ND on 600. Mike Winarz in Winnipeg has some
comments about KSJB ---

As you reported in WOR 1781, KSJB is indeed broadcasting at full power. Just
after listening to your show I immediately tuned to 600 kHz on the medium wave
dial and being in Winnipeg (about 275 miles from Jamestown), in daylight KSJB
was booming in with signal quality near what I'd expect from local radio
stations! Too bad I don't like country music... (Mike Winiarz, Winnipeg,
Manitoba, Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network, 0014 UT
July 10)

Mike, Tnx for the report. Had you noticed it was NOT coming in so well before
last week?? I also wonder if they have any advertisers from Canada. Not that I
would ask you to listen to country music, hi (Glenn to Mike, ibid.)

Hi Glenn, I've never [heard] really much of anything on 600 kHz before, but now
all of a sudden there it is! No Canadian ads that I've heard so far but I
suppose that much of the advertising I've heard is tourism related so there
might be some advertising directed at Canadians.

Explaining why I am receiving such a strong signal from 250 miles has to be
that Jamestown is in the North Black Hills, whereas Winnipeg is at the bottom
of what used to be Lake Agassiz in prehistoric times and [as] such provides a
pretty good line of sight, not to mention the station`s power! Is it still a
50000 watt limit in the U.S or have they opened that up?

Off topic, I do believe I met you at the ANARC conference in Montreal back in
the early 80's which was hosted at the CBC studios (Mike, Sent from my
BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network. 2305 UT JULY 10)

Mike, It`s only 5 kW. 50 kW is the limit in US, but normally on `regional`
channels like 600, no more than 5 kW --- all the US stations are 5 kW max
there. Exceptions can be made, usually on higher frequencies with an
interference problem (like Cuba). Radio Martí in FL Keys 1180 runs 100 kW, but
that`s a special case. Of course direxional patterns can make a signal seem
like a lot more in particular locations.

Ground conductivity is a factor which varies greatly geographically. Search on
ground conductivity map and you will find that over most of ND it`s 30 which is
the highest overland, like it is around OK. (Only 15 along the Red River, but
still higher than many other places).

Line of sight might be a factor on FM, but not on MW. All the (current) lakes
around there couldn`t hurt. Of course MW stations at the low end of the band
have a great advantage over higher ones.

You probably also get a big signal from 550 KFYR Bismarck. CJOB has great
coverage too, and of course further out, CBK (better than CBW since it`s
mid-band). [Axually it`s only 219 miles city-to-city Jamestown to Winnipeg, or
352 km]

Yes, I was at one of the conventions in Montréal - so long ago.
73, (Glenn to Mike, ibid.)

You are quite the source for information! Thanks (Mike, Sent from my BlackBerry
10 smartphone on the Bell network, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 690, July 16 at 1124 UT open carrier, obviously from KGGF Coffeyville
KS. They sometimes leave carrier on long after sign-off shortly after local
midnite 0500 UT, and might have been all night, but this time was not on a few
minutes earlier when I was picking up Zacatecas. Still OC past 1130 UT and not
checked again until 1201 UT, when now it`s modulating programming. Wonder if
KGGF is now intentionally not signing on until 7 am CT? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, July 16 at 1106 UT, ``104.1, La Picuda(?) está en el aire``,
into music, CCI from another Spanish, slow SAH. At first I was thinking Mexican
but no such correspondence fits; instead per
http://www.alphamediausa.com/markets/sanantonio/vsredir/index.php
and http://www.nortenosa.com/ the 720/104.1 combo is San Antonio`s KSAH (COL:
Universal City), ``Norteño`` brand which may or may not be current.

104.1 is KSAH-FM, 100 kW licensed to Pearsall TX, as discussed before,
rimshooting San Antonio. WTFDA database agrees on the Norteño identity, but
shows format as sports, and 720 has also been listed with ESPN Deportes.
Masculine norteño may be significant as a manly sports image, rather than
norteña implying música which is feminine. Not at all sure of the Picuda
non-ID, but reminds me of what was heard for a while on the 1120 Tulsa station,
syndicated format from Los Ángeles, http://www.picudaradio.com/ (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 840, July 14 at 1814 UT, Rush is barely audible; at first I thought
it was another talker, but compared to KTOK 1000, the 840 station utters the
same words a good many seconds behind. According to Rush` station list, it`s
either KXNT in Las Vegas NV or WHAS in Louisville KY, both of which carry him
live. Tho both 50 kW, KXNT is out of the question at much greater distance and
extremely unfavorable N/S direxional pattern.

So once again I have WHAS at high noon, presumably residual skywave (maybe
sporadic-E enhanced, a little-explored phenomenon on MW vis-à-vis VHF and even
HF) and/or diminished D-layer absorption for some reason. Groundwave over the
Ozarx at that distance, 1092 km = 678 miles, is less likely than skywave at
midday, I think. The path from Louisville is mostly conductivity 8 and 4
millimhos/meter, while that from Chicago at about the same distance, and which
can make it on groundwave 670 and 720 kHz, rates 15 and 8, enough to make a
difference.

This signal also fades down, and has a 6 Hz SAH on it. That`s likely from KTIC
in West Point NE, which is a marginal groundwave signal over good conductivity
of 15 and 30. Neither that C&W nor the fourth possibility, religious KWDF in
Ball LA, would be on the `EIB` network (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 850, July 11 at 0217 UT, nice organ music from NE/SW, must be KFUO
Clayton MO; mutually nullable with KOA in break during Rockies Radio Net with
ad mentioning Front Range. 0230 UT, KFUO sign-off, disclaimer about opinions
not necessarily representing the Lutheran CMS; continue listening to kfuo.org,
starts some Finlandia (no doubt repurposed as hymn), cuts it off at 0231*.
Still in July, daytimer+ KFUO gets to stay on until official sunset in Denver
0230 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 870, July 14 at 1812 UT, on caradio from quiet parking lot in central
Enid, JBA signal here with intonation sounding like Spanish, quite different
from the Vietnamese I was expecting, which is what I normally hear around SR/SS
or sometimes at night vs WWL, i.e. KFJZ Fort Worth TX. However, Radio-Locator
shows KFJZ now as Spanish Christian (only); is it still Vietnamese at all? No
website. It also has a bump in daytime coverage toward the north. Having proven
a few weeks ago that WWL New Orleans can be heard here over 600 miles away in
the daytime, I`m also seeking it again, and that may well be the SAH of about 6
Hz against KFJZ (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880-CUSB, July 12 at 0557 UT, SRN News headlines, 0559 UT ID ``You`re
listening to the Western Indian Radio Network, KHAC, Tse Bonito``, and weather
info for Rez spots in NM and AZ; all in English. See
http://www.westernindian.net/ --- Yes, still no modulation on LSB, just USB
plus carrier. Hard to believe it`s on 430-watt night power rather than 10 kW
day power, non-direxional both. Sibling station is KTBA 760, 250/60 watts U1,
Tuba City AZ; is it //? Maybe not: NRC-AM Log shows 760 is // 104.9 KWIM, which
is back in Window Rock AZ next to Tse Bonito NM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. 1020, July 16 at 0535 UT, Spanish religion is way over near-local
KOKP Perry OK sportstalk, which I can only hear by nulling KCKN Roswell NM,
obviously powered back up to 50 kW, but NOT protecting KDKA. Relaying
Radiovisión Cristiana, 1330 NYC, KCKN has been back for some weeks but never
heard this strong before (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. I still am NOT hearing anything from 1060v KIJN, Farwell TX on the NM
border {and address in Clovis NM}, religion mostly in Spanish tho the calls
obviously stand for In-Jesus`-Name, 10 kW daytimer which used to run all night,
nor noticed around SR or SS either making we wonder if it`s on the air at all.
It was also off-frequency enough to make a LAH. In case it got religion,
official SR/SS times for July: 1145/0200 UT; August: 1215/0145 UT.

Aha, a new letter in the KIJN Correspondence File dated July 1, 2015:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=59133
notifying licensee that they are 25 months delinquent in payments to FCC, and
application for renewal will be dismissed after 30 more days unless payment
resolved. I guess this means they could still be on air till end of July, but
maybe gave up already. License expired August 1, 2013! Evidently the FCC is
unaware of their cheating into the nights, unless the delinquency is at least
partly for an unfound fine. WWJD! (Glenn Hauser, OK, July 16, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. 1110, July 11 at 0220 UT, S Asian music making heavy QRM with KFAB
and a SAH of approx. 210/minute = 3.5 Hz. Must be The Metroplex 50 kW daytimer
KVTT, or maybe cut to 39 kW for Critical Hours, since it`s on way past legal
sunset anyway in Mineral Wells. (FCC website is down so no quick check of SR/SS
table; and private fccinfo.com doesn`t provide that.) Now known as FunAsia
Radio per Radio-Locator; for NRC AM Log 2014 compiled a year ago, it was Radio
Dhanak. Program schedule at http://www.funasia.net/radio.php?radio_id=1
shows stuff starting at 7 pm [0000 UT] but no end time; hmmm. Still going at
0250 UT, but KFAB is gaining on it. Later at night after 0500 I have not been
hearing any KVTT, so when do they really turn off? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1150, July 14 at 1808 UT on caradio at a quiet parking lot in central
Enid, I`m getting three signals at midday; KSAL Salina KS mainly, with Rush,
but also a slow SAH of about 0.6 Hz and a faster SAH. The second signal is no
doubt 1 kW, KNED McAlester OK, which is barely present at this distance, 251 km
= 156 miles, but what could the third be? Looking at the NRC Pattern Book on
1150, the next-closest is:

KOLJ Quanah TX, 530 watts C&W, near SW corner of OK, 288 km / 179 mi
and after that:
KRMS Osage Beach MO, 840 watts, News/talk, 505 km / 314 mi
Of course on the vertical caradio antenna, no DFing is possible. All these are
non-direxional daytime. Altho slightly more powerful, the greater distance and
lesser ground conductivity over the Ozarx makes KOLJ far more likely, over
30/15 g.c. BTW, 5 kW KSAL has a much better signal here at night with a lobe
toward us than non-direxional daytime; but more QRM (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1450, July 11 at 0225 UT, ad for something in ``downtown
Warrensburg``, maybe during game, atop the graveyard pileup. It`s KOKO,
Warrensburg MO, outdistancing about six closer 1450s including two in OK, at
450 km = 280 statute miles (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---