--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when
changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period
to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; NRD-545 with ALA-330S
inside or N-S random wire; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W
longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also
VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives
without much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and
publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open
access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page39

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of
USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within
each, they are in frequency order

** NEWFOUNDLAND [non?]. 2598-USB, Oct 10 at 0050 UT, YL in English, S8 with
winds forecast; she has very good enunciation and sounds like a human. The
Canadian Coast Guard website I referenced recently shows starting at 0048 UT is
MCTS Placentia / VCP - Broadcasts via site St. Lawrence --- that`s rather
imprecise or is there a place by that name in Newfoundland? Otherwise it may be
the site just across the Labraborder in Quebec (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST) See also CANADA [Nfld being treated here as a separate ex-radio country]

Re 2598-USB, CCG site St. Lawrence, Eike Bierwirth replies: ``Hi Glenn, if you
use Canadian Coast Guard's website
http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/Marine-Communications/RAMN-2015/Part-2-Atlantic-Facilities-Information
then you can find not only transmission schedules but also transmitter site
coördinates, such as
St. Lawrence
 46°55'06?N
055°22'45?W
which is in southern Neufundland`` (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 2749-USB, Oct 10 at 0052 UT, a bunch of pre-recorded ``Notices to
Shipping`` by M human voice, with serial numbers M2052, M2050, also mentioning
XX4, i.e. obstructions and other hazards. Soon switches to French with heavy
English accent, ``Avis aux navigateurs``, and modulation is telco-quality, from
afar? Canadian CG reference shows MCTS Sydney [NS] / VCO - Broadcasts starting
at 0040 UT from site Port Caledonia, which is near Sydney and per Wikipedia:

``Port Caledonia (also known as Big Glace Bay) is a small community in the
Canadian province of Nova Scotia, located in the Cape Breton Regional
Municipality on Cape Breton Island. It is located on the Donkin Highway,
between the town of Glace Bay and the village of Donkin. It currently has one
gas station/convenience store as well as a public beach, known as the Big Glace
Bay Beach. The community received media attention in 2011 when resident Shirley
Sampson appeared on the reality television program Canada's Worst Driver 7,
ultimately being named the worst driver in Canada.[1]`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST) Now it has received more media attention! See also
NEWFOUNDLAND

===========

** OKLAHOMA. 780, Oct 9 at 0117 UT, KSPI Stillwater, 250-watt daytimer has left
its carrier on again way past official FCC October sunset of 0000 UT (Nov &
Dec: 2315 UT). I can hear WBBM IL and KCEG CO mixing underneath.

780, Oct 10 at 0024 UT, steady open carrier/dead air obviously from daytimer
KSPI Stillwater; ditto at: 0046 UT, 0103 UT, 0112 UT; and 0124 UT when I am
hearing WBBM under it. Oct sunset is officially 0000 UT! (Nov: 2330 UT)

780, Oct 12 at 0306 UT, daytimer KSPI Stillwater is still burning dead-air
carrier, with CO and IL audible underneath (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. In late September, I received a phone call out of the blue from
Rick Sellers of Drumright OK, who is in the oil business, and also the ``friend
and financier, and owner`s agent`` of KUSH, 1600, Cushing OK. Seems he has been
reading my log reports including about KUSH, the latest of which was in DXLD
14-45 (and brief follow-up 14-46) of last November, when we were monitoring
their Saturday morning Indian program, and then,

``What about the CP for power increase from 1 to 5 kW? Certainly still sounds
like 1 kW. FCC shows no info about it being LIC yet for that output, but there
was a Consummation of Transfer of Control on July 14, 2014. The confusing FCC
info also shows it`s presently ND-1 with 70 watts at night, while the CP calls
for ND-2 still with 70 watts at night. Yet, it`s one tower, and surely
non-direxional at all times. Direxionality in the daytime might have been a
requirement for higher power but not so indicated (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF
RADIO 1746, DX LISTENING DIGEST)``

Rick wanted to update that info, so told me all about KUSH, as I summarize from
notes:

They have until Xmas to activate the CP for 5 kW, and plan to meet the
deadline. 5 kW transmitter is on the way, and hope to be on air with it by
mid-December. That should also get them better into at least part of Oklahoma
City, daytimes. Already got a new transmitter in 2011, rehabbed the tower and
the rest of the station in 2012 --- it works like new altho it doesn`t look
like new.

Rick wonders if co-channel Vietnamese station in The Metroplex, KRVA, 25000/930
watts U4, is cheating. Says at SR & SS, it`s hard for him to hear KUSH only 10
miles away. Not sure here, but even if it isn`t, KUSH doesn`t have much of a
chance with 70 watts at night (when it`s Yahoo Sports Radio, anyway). If not
KRVA, it`s mostly a contest between Denver and St Louis at near right angles to
each other on 1600.

I wondered if he had looked into an FM duplicator; he has, but so far nothing
available that would be cost-effective. KREK in Drumright, for instance, was
sold for $300K. A translator closer to Tulsa would have cost $40K.

Has several news sources; compares it to KRMG 740 Tulsa in the good old days.
Rick, 60, says he has been into radio since childhood; put up a rock `n` roll
pirate FM in the late 60s, with 900 watts from Grove, reaching Tulsa, got TVI
complaints (channel 6 there, you know), then went straight after an FCC visit.

Rick says they are keeping the station local, not a lot of canned stuff (but
Dennis Miller and Clark Howard occupy 6 hours a weekday per sked). KUSH music
format is ``Americana`` at least 11 am - 1 pm CT, and he thinx it`s the only
such station in OK, at least the only one reporting to an Americana website.
Also plays some ``Red Dirt`` Texas music.

``The KUSH Team in the Morning --- 7:00 AM - 10:00 AM Monday Through Friday on
KUSH. A quick Start to your day with the latest news and local information,
local guests and more``

KUSH has been owned by the Kelly family since the 1960s. But heir apparent Sean
Kelly, son of founder Don Kelly, was killed in car wreck last year; his widow
and family continue to own it, and most of the staff are women. Don Kelly also
lent his name to KELI in Tulsa. Rick also mentioned some connexion with KMOD in
Tulsa.

Later I look up on website info about Sean, including:

NEGLIGENT HOMICIDE CHARGE FILED IN KUSH RADIO OWNER'S FATAL ACCIDENT
Patti Weaver 1600kush.com Published on: 12/30/2014

(Stillwater, Okla.) – A Mack dump truck driver was charged Monday with
negligent homicide in a Highway 33 collision west of Cushing that took the life
of KUSH radio station owner Sean Kelly, 53, of Stillwater, nearly a year ago.

The defendant, David Bruce Thomas, 52, of Shawnee, then an employee of Kinder
Dozer Inc. of Carney, was not arrested when the charge, which is a misdemeanor,
was filed by Payne County Assistant District Attorney Tyson Branyan 11 months
after the fatal accident. . .
http://1600kush.com/story.php?id=7915&section=1

Formal obit for Sean Michael Kelly:
http://1600kush.com/story.php?id=6638&section=1

Partial program schedule and link for live streaming:
http://1600kush.com/index.php?section=7

Includes the Saturday morning Indian show, `Native Air` with Hugh Foley, an OSU
professor and also the PD of KUSH. I was going to monitor it again on Oct 3,
but other activities caused me to miss it.

Friday Oct 9 I checked the caradio around 1530 UT, and found KRVA still heavily
QRMing KUSH on skywave almost a bihour after sunrise, but it was about to fade
out. Saturday Oct 10, however, tuning the NRD-545 and ALA-330S antenna aimed
eastward for best reception, and nothing but a SAH from KRVA even when nulling
KUSH on the PL-880:

I tune in at 1457 UT during a song; 1500 UT, KUSH ID by Lee Denney, State Rep.
for District 33 (I thought she said 32, but she`s here:)
http://www.okhouse.gov/Members/District.aspx?District=33
and is axually Speaker Pro Tem.

Then some ads: 1501 UT, Quicken Loans, mental-bright.com; 1502 UT, E-cigarette
starter kit, free! 1503 UT Legal Advocates for Indian Country,
http://laic-law.com --- 1504 UT no show opening other than drumming & chanting,
which continues until 1513 UT when Hugh finally introduces `Native Air`, talks
about football games; 10:14 TC in English and brief bit in a native language;
Sac & Fox news in English including: a ``rap council`` coming Oct 24, and at
this very hour Oct 10, another important S&F meeting is in progress. I find its
site:
http://sacandfoxnation-nsn.gov/

Sac & Fox is one of the smallest tribes; Wikipedia: ``The Sac and Fox Nation is
headquartered in Stroud, Oklahoma, and their tribal jurisdictional area covers
Lincoln, Payne, and Pottawatomie Counties. Their Principal Chief is George
Thurman.[1] Five elected officials, each elected for a four-year term, govern
the tribe. Elections are held in odd-numbered years in August.[2] Of the 3,794
enrolled tribal members, 2,557 live in Oklahoma. Membership to the tribe
requires a minimum 1/8 blood quantum.[1]``

He looks at a language page, including a word list, such as a long word for
Moon he`s going to have to practice before pronouncing; and shorter ones for
fire and pumpkin. It seems that LAIC is the show sponsor. 1517 UT plays some
more drumming & chanting featuring ``Young Bear recorded from the Enid Powwow
2015`` --- that must have been where we were last Saturday afternoon! 1520 UT
ID as ``the mighty Kush``. At this time I decide to turn on the computer and
hear it better on webcast, but unfortunately it requires some flash plug-in I
haven`t installed.

1600, Oct 15 at 1818 UT on caradio, KUSH Cushing resumes the `Marilu Henner
Show` after a break; and at 1906 UT after some news, she herself voices a KUSH
ID. This is contrary to my recent writeup where I found on their website that
Dennis Miller occupied the M-F 1-4 pm CT slot. So I search on Marilu and find
this:

``Happy New Year from the KUSH! Molly Payne Published on: 12/31/2014
This past year we have also added a few new things to the KUSH. In the fall,
not only did KUSH add a new show (The Marilu Henner Show) to its weekday
afternoon programming, but we also began broadcasting Drumright Tornado
football on Citylinktv/Drumright``

So it seems Marilu has been on KUSH for at least a year, altho the few-programs
page
http://1600kush.com/index.php?section=7
still shows Dennis Miller at 1-4 pm CT. There`s a lot about her guest lineup
every day, here when show is live at 9 am-noon `PST`,
presumably meaning PDT for the rest of October = 16-19 UT:
http://www.marilushow.com/
subtitled `Life, Love, Laughter` and a lot lighter, more variety than you would
get from far-right convert ex-comedian Dennis Miller.

I don`t recall running across her talkshow before, and here`s why. Altho at a
variety of delayed times, affiliate list has only 28 stations, mostly in small
markets,
http://www.marilushow.com/?page_id=1857
with exception of: CKLW 800 Windsor and a few small stations in bigger cities.
But Clark Howard is still on afterwards, at 2107 UT check October 15. By now a
SAH is starting, presumably from 25 kW Vietnamese KRVA The Metroplex skywave
already

So far I haven`t heard either slogan as in IRCA DX Monitor Oct 3:
``1600 KUSH Cushing, OK, old slogan: "The Source"; new: "The Voice Of Cimarron
Valley"``. Nor do I see either on the website, even by searching. Tnx to Rick
for calling, and I hope he eventually sees this writeup! (Glenn Hauser, Enid,
WORLD OF RADIO 1795, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Oct 10 at 1406 UT, open carrier, dead air except for big hum
from KZLS Enid/Hennessey, not unusual for them. I`ve better things to do than
keep listening for it to come back, but it is remodulating with music at next
check 1744 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

its schedules (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1795, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 660, Oct 12 at 0304 UT, Navajo drumming and chanting, dead giveaway
that it`s KTNN, Window Rock AZ/NM; they habitually mix that in with English
music and programming. QRM but separable from talker in English, presumably
KSKY The Metroplex. Always enjoy hearing KTNN, and haven`t lately here. When I
do at full night, I must suspect it`s out of whack, not protecting WFAN NYC/NJ
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, Oct 10 at 0023 UT, KKOB Albuquerque NM, good signal with quick
ID; must be ideal time pre-sunset: yes, 0030 UT in Oct, which means the
230-watt Santa Fe fill-in hasn`t come on yet --- but it`s still in at 0105 UT
with local news mentioning Balloon Fiesta, APS, APD, Bernalillo County --- so
now which KKOB is it? Official sunrise is 1315 UT, when we should also hear the
50 kW ND daypattern pop on in Oct; November: 0000 UT & 1345 UT (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, Oct 12 at 1313 UT, in accordance with my recent remark, I`m
standing by for KKOB Albuquerque to pop on to 50 kW ND pattern at official
October sunrise --- but nothing happens at 1315 UT; KAAM The Metroplex from
right angle continues with weak signal, Jack Davis Show at 1316 UT; and with
2.2 Hz SAH before and after 1315, which could be from KKOB. Maybe KKOB will be
making it later in October (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 990, Oct 9 at 0006 UT, Charles Osgood selling insurance, ``AM 990
KWAM`` ID from Memphis TN, and `The Smith?Schmidt? Show`. I guess it had been
`The Osgood File`; altho he`s no Charles Kuralt, I am satisfied with Osgood as
host of CBS Sunday Morning (TV), but not when he ``sees you [sic] on the
radio``, i.e. `File`, a very brief CBS feature which seems like it is more than
50% commercial. One day I`ll time it.

990, Oct 10 at 0025 UT, signal blasting in at 25 over 9, promo Sat 8-9 am show
`Mind Your Business on 990 KWAM`` Memphis TN. Got to be still on tight E-W 10
kW daytime pattern rather than 450 watts night, despite official Oct sunset
having been at 2330 UT (Nov: 2300 UT) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1020, Oct 14 at 1227 UT, 8:28 TC in Spanish, weather for New York
City area, so what else could it be but KCKN Roswell NM where it`s two hours
earlier, relaying WWRV 1330, Radiovisión Cristiana. Makes 3 Hz SAH with nearby
victim KOKP Perry OK. Even with KOKP nulled I am hearing KCKN, not KMMQ,
another 50 kW SS in Nebraska. KCKN obviously continues to run 50 kW ND rather
than protecting KDKA, and incidentally KOKP (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. Thread from ABDX reconfirms my 1080 unID as KSLL, Price UT:

Glenn, I was in Utah the last week of September. KSLL-1080 was calling itself
"Rock 105" or something similar, mentioning "105" way more often than the other
FM. 73 (Tim Hall, CA, Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone, ABDX via DXLD)

This is for sure KSLL. I can't recall if slogan is Rock 105 or Classic 105 or
Classic Hits 105. They are often on at night. Recently clobbered on west array
here by KYMN running day power at night. 73 KAZ Barrington IL (Neil Kazaross,
ibid.) = 1000/11 watts U1 Northfield MN (gh)

I'm listening to one of my recordings now. They just referred to
themselves as "Classic Rock 105." In promos they also mention "KUSA FM 100"
fairly often. 73 (Tim Hall, ibid.)

It was a tip from Bill Dvorak in Madison, WI that helped me nab this last week.
Definitely running day power at night. 73, (Rick Dau, South Omaha, Nebraska,
http://www.dxworld.com/bcblog.html ibid.)

** U S A. 1090, Oct 12 at 0308 UT, gospel music in English at steady S9+20,
looping E/W. 0310 ID as AM-1090, KAAY and advertising for new sales rep,
current one gushing over what a great job it is for her. This dominant bigsig
is not what we normally get nor are supposed to get from 50/50 kW KAAY Little
Rock AR on night pattern. They have an STA for 5/5 kW non-direxional, but
surely sounds like more (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, Oct 10 at 0027 UT, Mexican music loops E/W, generally atop CCI
with SAHs, something unusual; also at rechex 0041, 0059. Finally Spanish SHVA
ID at 0101 UT as WLBA Atlanta, and also mentioning a couple other stations, not
sure if FM or AM, right back to music. The letters WLBA were pronounced in
English altho they don`t have to be. Oh2: another 10 kW daytimer! and
non-direxional. CoL is really Gainesville GA. Supposed to go off at 2300 UT
(and reduce power for CH after 2100 UT in Oct to only 1 kW: NOT, NOT!)
(November: 2230 UT and 2030 UT)

1130, Oct 10 at 0630 UT, still hearing Mexican music from east, no doubt WLBA
Georgia daytimer still cheating as in earlier report; makes fast SAH but
separable from KWKH to the southeast (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1795, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, Oct 12 at 1245 UT, KLEY Wellington KS instead of dead air is
modulating with distortion, making it hard to understand, both during a remote
about sports and then a commercial for Radioworks Joblink in Kansas; carrier
sounds OK with BFO. Is anyone at station listening to off-air monitor? Is
anyone at station?

1130, Oct 13 at 1241 UT, KLEY Wellington KS, with the same modulation
distortion as 24 hours earlier (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1310, Oct 9 at 0008 UT, ``Madisonville`s ESPN Radio``, and weather
forecast. Which Madisonville? Not TX north of Huntsville, as on 1220v KMVL, but
Kentucky 1310: WTTL, 1500/500 watts U2, between Hopkinsville and Henderson in
western KY (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, Oct 8 at 2357 UT, rock music over KOKC with silly HS ballgame,
Moore vs Owasso. As I expected, Oct 9 at 0000 UT announcement as a GME Studio
program, contact tellm...@gmail.com and off with no ID. Which means it`s KYND
Cypress TX, which mainly (?) relays China Radio International to Houston
market. FCC shows 25 kW day, 18 kW Critical Hours, no night, direxional with
different constants. Rather it`s the same pattern merely dropping power in a
futile nod to lessen QRM to KOKC, during the first and last bihour of its
daytime, which indeed ends at 0000 UT in October (2330 UT in November). Pattern
is supposed to have a major lobe at 110 degrees, and virtually nothing toward
us or anywhere from south clockwise to northeast (we are NNW). I don`t believe
it! KYND close to the same direxion from here as KOKC, and also a regular
around sunrise, almost zero-beat (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, re KZNX Creedmoor TX: Glenn, Looks the 95.1 translator was
sold. KZNX and K236AY-95.1 have common ownership. With both in the Austin area
it appears that K236AY-95.1 is now // KZNX and KTXZ [1120] is operating without
an FM outlet. 73 (Wayne Heinen, Editor AM Radio Log, Oct 14, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Oct 13 at 1244 UT, ad for a painting costing $195 from area
code 816 (northern Missouri); 1247 UT ID for KQNK, which is Norton KS, 1 kW
daytimer, briefly dominating frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1600, Oct 12 at 1251 UT, as I am trying to listen to the KUSHing OK
local morning show, still too much skywave from Vietnamese KRVA TX, and also a
singing ID in English for ``103.9`` --- Looking thru the 58 entries on 1600 in
the NRC AM Log 2015-2016, I do find one with an FM on 103.9! --- KRFS Superior
NE, 500/44 watts and also 500 W PSRA, // Country 104, not a translator. Likely,
but can`t be positive it`s the only 1600/103.9 duo (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1630, Oct 12 at 0228 UT tune-in, immediate partial ID in Spanish for
``94.7 FM y 1630 AM``, ergo KRND Fox Farm WY, i.e. Granja del Zorro. 94.7 is
really a negligible translator, tail wagging the fox. No problem from KKGM TX
or KCJJ IA at the moment. AAMOF, no problem from WRDW GA either, the only other
1630 in the USA, I`ve yet to hear (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. UNIDENTIFIED. 1700, Oct 9 at 0001 UT, amid pileup of stations, one or
two FM translator IDs in English and mention of 94.5. You guessed it --- no
known 94.5 corresponding to KBGG IA or KVNS TX or (Spanish) KKLF TX. Nor WEUP
AL. I can`t imagine this not being one of the above.

Re my unID on 1700 mentioning translator on 94.5 FM: ``WEUP/W233BR,  per Google
search. -- GREG HARDISON``. That`s Huntsville AL, 10/1 kW U1. May be new for
me. Tnx again, Greg, for help with my unIDs (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

=============

UNIDENTIFIED. 730, Oct 9 at 0103 UT, a station in English rather than Korean or
Spanish, ad for something in Hattiesburg; but unfortunately there is no 730
there or anywhere in Mississippi (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 730, Oct 10 at 0021 UT, I am again getting a station in English
looping east/west; YL with possible African-American accent discussing
significance of hair color, e.g. blue. Looking at the 730 map, a good candidate
is my closest to the east, KQPN, 1/1 kW U4 in West Memphis AR, altho listed as
a YSR affiliate. Could also apply to the Hattiesburg mention I heard before, in
a neighboring state and the closest 730 to it.

BTW, I still have not been able to confirm 730, KLOE Goodland KS is still on
the air, after not hearing it by groundwave in the OK Panhandle (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 990, Oct 12 at 1240 UT, song in Spanish, 1242 UT interjects one
word, ``Lozana``, or something similar before another song. I was expecting
``Rockola`` from XECL Mexicali as also logged recently and this too loops
roughly east/west. Could have been artist/music name rather than station name.

Nothing in the three XE references. Could be a US station: there are several SS
listed, the most likely at this time and direxion being KTKT Tucson, except
it`s ESPN Deportes. WSGO New Orleans keeps coming up in searches but it`s talk
in English. There is also a small town at the southern tip of TX called Lozano
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---