The previous report covered Hawaiian stations; this one covers what else I
heard.

First, Colin, we stayed at Waikoloa Village 10/26-31 and Kona Coast Resort
11/1-6. North American reception is pretty well blocked by the rather large
mountains; electrical noise at both places didn’t help much either. Bob
Coomler, yes, you’ll be in great shape for North America but not so good for
Asia. (Be sure to go to the Botanical Garden!)

I DXed a couple of times at 10pm and 4am local but was not rewarded with much
other than a few hets. However, there were a few things of interest Sat. 11/7
at 4am HST:
603 - couldn’t tell language. Seems unlikely it was Korean but could be.
Actually heard two mornings.
620/621 - sounded like opera with JJ commentary. Not positive about the
language.
747 - Japanese; fair level
774 - as above
1143 - as above
1170 - someone trying to break through but not quite audio
1380 - US sports. KTKZ?
1410 - US sports. KMYC unlikely, but what else?
1440 - good level in Japanese
1550 - repetitive chanting. Really strange. KZDG?

On 11/5, we drove up to a ranch on Hwy. 250 about 2/3rds of the way up from
Waimea. This did not give me a clear shot to the U.S. mainland but it wasn’t
bad. Driving back 2 hours after local sunset, I listened for about 15 minutes
before the mountains started blocking reception. The dial was alive from
540-1150 with U.S. stations audible on just about every frequency which did not
have a Hawaiian station on it. KTNQ-1020 was the loudest.

In the 80s, we went to Poipu on Kauai. No problem with having a loop in your
luggage back then. Reception was wonderful with Argentina all the way around to
Japan bouncing in. Fun! It is good having an understanding wife...

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
HQ180 & ICF2010