​Like many of you I also have many fond memories of John, and had such
admiration for him. He and I first met in 1987 when I was publishing the
Cascade Mountain DX Club bulletin, and he joined so that he could keep on
top of shortwave DX heard from the Pacific Northwest (he and his wife Linda
would later spend most summers on Orcas Island, WA).

​Many of my memories of John revolve around the fun times and hard work of
editing & producing the "Proceedings" series of books for DXers,
"underwritten" by the Numero Uno/Fine Tuning group that John and I were a
part of. Proceedings was John's "baby" and his vision from start to finish
(from the 1988 edition to the final 1994-96 book). ​We would work together
on the layout and final editing of the books during my summer weekend trips
to Orcas Island. For the early Proceedings editions, desktop publishing as
a publication technique was at "that awkward age", and we made so many
printing and layout blunders, often churning through multiple dot matrix
printer ribbons (remember them?) as we worked late into the night. The
fade-ins of Papua New Guinea and Indonesian stations on 90 & 60 meters
would be our entertainment as we worked.

​Some of you know that both designed and built the home that he and Linda
were to retire to on Orcas. He was eminently qualified, as in 1997 John was
chosen as a "Fellow - American Institute of Architecture" (FAIA), perhaps
the highest honor in his field.

The home is perched on a dramatic rock outcropping 800 feet above the
water, and has an incredible sweeping view of the San Juan Islands, the
Strait of San Juan de Fuca, and even the shipping lanes across from
Victoria BC. This picture I took of John in his Orcas Island home is one of
my favorites and how I remember him:

https://app.box.com/s/asdsv7kp5a33wnpi64kn8qe7ub0xmh5l

​You are very missed, my friend!

Guy Atkins