Forgive me fellow DX’ers, for I have sinned. Despite AM DXing for several years
now, I confess that I’ve never quite learned how to decipher the FCC database’s
designations for AM authorizations.

For instance, tonight i’m listening to 1550 AM a lot. I notice that WAZX 1550
in Smyrna, GA is authorized to run 50000w/16w DA-2B. Now I know this vaguely
means that they can run 50,000 watts in the daytime, but only 16 watts at
night. But I have no real idea what “DA-2 B” refers to.

Meanwhile, KCOM 1550 in Comanche, TX is authorized to run 250w/54w ND D. Say
what? I’ll take a stab that means 250 watts in the daytime, and 54 watts at
night. Non-directional?

I know this stuff is important. But I’ve been using the hunt and peck method of
DXing for years. Not targeting stations as I’m doing now, so it’s becoming more
important.

Is there a “FCC Lingo for Dummies” guide on the web somewhere? Can someone post
some Cliff Notes?

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook
Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.