Tom and I were honored to welcome our first international participant to the
cliff this morning (well, OK, Nick of Victoria, BC).  Fortunately we had the
Highway 101 turnoff to ourselves for antenna setup this morning, but Nick
encountered a typical Rockwork 4 session featuring rain, wind and Murphy's Law.

I was separated from Tom and Nick by about 10 meters, and my south side of the
turnoff was crammed with the usual 4 large FSL antennas, Ultralight radios and
digital recorders. Having learned the hard way that 1017-Tonga has only one
late sign-off per week (on their late Saturday night), a determined effort was
made to set up my largest (17") FSL immediately upon arrival at the cliff (at
the bizarre hour of 0330 local, or 1030 UTC). The effort paid off with fairly
good reception of foreign language from the station around 1130, while all of
us were still setting up our antennas in the predawn darkness. The propagation
once gain favored New Zealand (so what is new?), with very potent signals from
the usual regulars (including an awesome signal from the 2.5 kW 765-Kahungunu).
From my standpoint the more obscure Kiwis (576, 585, 936 etc.) seemed to be
playing hard to get, though, while Australian signals seemed to have fallen off
of the cliff. Nick and Tom were both able to record various NZ signals 1 kHz
away from domestics (such as the 1 kW 549-Trackside) which were fairly hopeless
with my rudimentary-filtered Ultralights, but Murphy's Law's typically has no
chance to knock out such crude radios (which depend on live human operation-- a
stone age concept). At one point in the session Nick came over and inquired
about the DU signal on 729 (a prime frequency for all of us, with the reduction
in "Vancouver traffic"), but I needed to admit that my Ultralights weren't
exactly the optimal gear to filter the 730 splatter. As usual there were minor
weather challenges, with stiff wind late in the session rocking the Financial
Sinkhole Loops back and forth (and causing no lack of consternation in their
creator). Finally, although 738-Tahiti certainly has a reputation of being a
blowtorch on this cliff, this morning it was a blowtorch on steroids. Its
French language program at 1230 was so overwhelming that its splatter was
drowning the usual pest 740-KCBS, to the extent that the Frisco station was
struggling to be heard. Later today we welcome the first Japanese DXers to
participate in a Rockwork 4 DXpedition (or possibly, the first to participate
in a west coast MW-DXpedion?)-- Hiroo Nakagawa and Satoshi Miyauchi. Highly
skilled in both Perseus-SDR and Ultralight radio DXing, our two honored guests
will be participating in the ultimate wild DXing experience for the next couple
of sessions.

684   Rhema   Gisborne, NZ   Fair level Christian contemporary music at 1247
(log them while you can, according to Tony W.)
https://app.box.com/s/691ddrcehygaiko5pgpll2jp1nu1en91

702   Magic   Auckland, NZ   Oldies music at blistering level pounding in at
1223; garbled ID between songs
https://app.box.com/s/gtd8u8zxduwpirycbso99kigyum2ja5c

738   Radio Polynesie   Mahina, Tahiti   French program at near nuclear level
threatening to crunch my Ultralight's front end at 1233
https://app.box.com/s/pw2gpfgh7vd19b33yz8ag7466y18462t

765   Radio Kahungunu   Napier-Hastings, NZ   Beautiful Maori female vocal
music from this 2.5 kW overachiever at 1230
https://app.box.com/s/qnmsxpgqdntk772vt8rbc3rfnvfjweuw

1017   A3Z   Nuku'alofa, Tonga   Rushed antenna setup pays off with a
good-level logging of male speech at 1130 (the only non-English DU on the
frequency). Not quite as strong as Bill W.'s classic sign off MP3 from a few
years back, but I'll take it anyway
https://app.box.com/s/jz35gvlr8re5ldfqol9h6ux0kd04dea5

1044   Newstalk ZB   Dunedin, NZ   Good level call-in talk program getting
through the splatter // 1035 at 1210
https://app.box.com/s/z7flaydc0if63v9qhro7deyvp3rno67d

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (DXing at the Rockwork 4 ocean cliff near Manznita, Oregon, USA)
7.5" loopstick C.Crane Skywave Ultralights (3) +17" and 15" DXpedition FSL
antennas
Detailed photo from this morning's wild session is posted at
https://app.box.com/s/k95omx4nhsihrizqimagkwm825bpebe7