My wife and I visited Lubec, in ‘downeast’ Maine, over the Memorial Day holiday
for a combination birding and radio expedition.  Birding was good but DX was
better!  Just starting thru the wav files and have ‘the page’ up for my
unorthodox way of logging:

http://realmonitor.com/am_logs_qh9.php

Seems we hit an ‘opening’ on May 29 after the sun burped and produced some
amazing conditions towards Brazil and southern Africa.

Check out 657, 756 and 828 — 2 x South Africa and 1 x Malawi!  I always assume
EVERYthing has been heard before in Newfoundland but I’m not sure any of these
have been heard in the U.S.

Usual 160’ DKAZ was facing 100 deg. - a little south from where I put it in
November when Europe/ME are more of a target.

Things went well with the remote Rt antenna until the final morning when
‘somebody’ chewed thru my CAT5 control line out by the back-end of the antenna.
 My prime suspect is the owner’s ‘pet’ porcupine who I had surprised more than
once when driving in or coming outside the house.  I can’t imagine that CAT5
tastes good so this guy must hold a grudge.  ;-)

Looking forward to moving thru more wav files but I suspect the DX gods have
given about all they’re going to on this round.

Bill Whitacre
Alexandria, VA