WTEL 610 Philadelphia was overmodulating by 200-300% for a good year or two before they finally fixed it. I complained - never got any response. Using 110+ khz bandwidth on peaks.

Now they finally stopped and stopped using IBOC so I'm very happy.

I'm guessing lots of automated stations make mistakes all the time. What they need is an automatic error checking system (ex. if your audio modulation is below 10% for more than 2 minutes or if your frequency drifts by more than 100 hz, it could trigger a text message). Though from my experience as a software developer, even with error checking it is hard to maintain 100% up time.

Aaron

--
High resolution map of race and income --> JusticeMap.org