Michael, I meant to weigh in on this a few days ago and it got away from
me--but as you've already discovered from reviews & comments, the Tecsun 660
and 880 are both pretty mediocre on MW.  A pity since they're pretty
well-designed radios otherwise, inexpensive and with lots of features (good
sync detector on the 660, rock-solid SSB reception, etc.).   I have a 660, and
its weak-signal mediumwave reception is just not up to serious DXing levels.
And it's particularly deaf on longwave.  Good antennas help, but only so much.
The old Sony 7600GR was much hotter on LW & MW, but mine died a few years ago.
Randy Stewart
Springfield MO