      From: R. Colin Newell <coffeecan...@gmail.com>
<irca@hard-core-dx.com>
Cc: Mark Connelly <markwa1...@aol.com>
 Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 12:58 PM
 Subject: Re: [IRCA] drake r8a for sale

All good comments - my current reluctance to join the SDR crowd is the expense
of buying a Perseus and then getting a laptop with enough horsepower to operate
it...

For me, another strike against is the whole concept of scooping a swath of
spectrum and “listening to” or searching it “later on...”

I work - and I have zero time for hunching over a laptop and snooping through
WAV files looking for DX that happened 8-12 hours earlier.

Maybe when I’m retired.

I am amped about getting a BeagleBone webSDR up an running from my QTH but was
choked when I looked at how expensive it was to get one to CANADA.... around
twice the price of one in the USA.

I’ll revisit that soon - the idea of having a self contained web receiver with
a dedicated processor is appealing. Having an SDR that is dépendant on the
whims of Bill Gates and Windows holds ZERO appeal. Unlink thé receiver concept
from a Windows O/S and I’m in.

Colin Newell - Victoria - B.C. CANADA -

--- End Message ---