Hi Rick,

<<< Has anyone done any experiments with an inductive secondary coupling loop
on an FSL or a high-impedance unity gain preamp with an unbalanced low
impedance output across the loop winding? I.e. what would be needed to couple
to a receiver or an SDR? >>>

Local buddy Guy Atkins (also living here in Puyallup) has performed multiple
experiments attempting to match the compact gain performance of the FSL antenna
with the Perseus-SDR receiver, and back in 2013 Guy tried almost every
conceivable interface (low-noise Wellbrook preamps, sensing coils, direct
connections, etc.) in order to somehow match the single-optimized-frequency
performance of the FSL with the state-of-the-art Perseus-SDR receiver. Because
of intense interest among local broadband DXers over $1K was used in these
experiments, which unfortunately ran into the stark reality that a high-Q,
single-optimized-frequency antenna with razor-sharp tuning peaks is not very
compatible with a spectrum capture receiver requiring a broadband antenna to
record all MW frequencies simultaneously. That's not to say that the FSL
antenna couldn't be used on single frequencies to provide exceptional gain for
the Perseus-SDR (or other 50 ohm antenna input receivers) once an
impedance-matching system is devised, and I'm pretty sure that Guy experimented
with those type of matching systems, and how to get good performance on narrow
frequency ranges with a Perseus + FSL combination. But the essential fact
remains that almost all Perseus-SDR DXers are oriented toward spectrum capture
of the entire MW frequency range, and will not be satisfied with exceptional
antenna performance on one single frequency.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)