<<< SDR's, of course, can be used for live DX just as much as an R-390A,
HQ-180A, Drake R8B, or AOR 7030 can. My opinion has always been to utilize a
mix of captures and live DX (where you can adjust antenna settings, use phasing
and/or high-Q tuning, and chase on-air or online parallel audio). >>>

Thanks for your comments, Mark and Colin.

Live DXing and spectrum capture can actually be mutually beneficial when you
have two DXers who understand the advantages of both systems, and cooperate as
a team. Last summer at the Rockwork 4 ocean cliff the live-DXing FSL antennas
were the first to notice the appearance of 531-6DL in western Australia (9.066
miles), which Perseus-SDR DXer Tom R. checked and confirmed with multiple
parallels. The FSL's (which tend to be "King of the Hill" on the low band
frequencies at the cliff) also tracked down 531-More FM ID's at various times,
which Tom used as shortcuts for his own file review. On the other hand Tom's
Perseus + broadband loop combo had a DU reception advantage on the high band
frequencies, and his ability to record all frequencies simultaneously (along
with access to multiple parallel recordings) resulted in a much greater haul of
overall DU-DX (69 Kiwis and 40 Aussies). Of course the parallel recordings were
also very helpful in sorting out my own live DXing mysteries.

At least in one modern category, however, live DXers seem to have an unbeatable
advantage. After long range air travel the "Frequent Flyer" FSL antennas can
easily be set up almost anywhere on exotic ocean beaches worldwide-- even those
with severe antenna restrictions. Ocean-boosted propagation provides superb
long-range DX very easily on portable radios, especially when it is assisted by
a serious gain boost from an FSL antenna. To paraphrase Captain Kirk, we can
now "go where no DXer has gone before."

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)