--- Begin Message ---
After I ran a recent tutorial session on Total Recorder, Roy Barstow has
started getting audio clips to post on various sites. Mostly that has been on
the local Cape Cod DXers list but some have gone to RealDX with a much larger
expertise base, especially in Scandinavia.

I think Roy is getting better at figuring out his catches though he's still
heading up the learning curve. His postings to the local list are unpolished
but sometimes I feel that it's useful to post them to IRCA, NRC, and ABDX lists
when there is so little else being reported from the East Coast. Indeed the
Cape area and Boston area Yahoogroups often have more chat than the "big"
lists. I used to see Allen Willie and Sylvain Naud checking in occasionally and
I think Rick Shaftan should be getting something going on the Outer Banks soon
but, for the moment, Atlantic coast reportage has been spotty (and that
includes me as well). Other things get in the way of DXing for all of us.

Of course anyone can jump on Bill Whitacre's remote receiver in Maine and take
a swing at DXing on this side of the continent. Logs reported from remote SDR's
still provide useful tips even if you might not count them as your own DX
catches.http://qhkiwisdr.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073/
On the IRCA list especially, I doubt that East Coast loggings will ever
approach the diversity, quality, and quantity of what is reported on a nearly
daily basis from western North America. But that has always been the case, even
back to the paper-only era.

Bruce Conti, I, and other DXers have pointed Roy to MWLIST and some other
online resources. Analysis of his unIDs are welcomed of course. I've suggested
that audio postings consist of material that has potential ID material such as
is typically found at top-of-hour or bottom-of-hour (rather than just generic
talk or music at in-between times).

Right now Roy is the only DXer in New England doing beach field trips on a
regular basis even into the winter. Thanks to that, he's picking off stuff that
others nearby, but somewhat inland, are missing. This is especially true an
hour or more before sunset. As a point of reference, it's been two years since
I've DXed outside the house.

And Chuck, thanks for the correction on the 1566 Indian-format station being
Holland, not UK.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
Mark -

Do you know if Roy wants comments on unids?

Often they are unid because it can't be proven who it is.

But often I see comments implying that the author didn't know the possible
stations.

It seems patronizing to constantly tell people what the possibilities are when
its just a case of not knowing for sure who it is.

Chuck

--- End Message ---