all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also
VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham,
which may be found in several archives
without much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with
extensive news from many other
individuals and
publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011
are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page78
[over 379,000 views! as of September 22,, 2019]

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. Fulfilling dire warnings all day, a major storm
hit the OKC area (but not Enid!), the evening of Aug 26, early UT
August 27, resulting in the major TV stations blowing away their
entire primetime schedules for wall-to-wall coverage. Mike Morgan on
KFOR even called it an ``inland hurricane`` since winds were up to 80
mph. Caused a lot of damage, with hail, flooding, many power lines
down; up to 85 kilocustomers blacked out at peak per OG&E
Systemwatch.

Not until 0542 UT do I start checking whether any radio stations are
affected, and some are, even in the Enid area:

1520, Aug 27 at 0542 UT, KOKC is dead air, still so at 0554; I can`t
hear its FM translator on 95.3 either, whether off or dead air as it`s
marginal anyway.

1640, Aug 27 at 0545 UT, KZLS ``Enid`` (Hennessey) is dead air, maybe
because it`s programmed out of OKC. Still at 0554;

however at 0552 I nulled its carrier as much as possible to hear
another station with music. Normally it`s WTNI Biloxi MS, reported in
MW Circle as ex-sports:

``** U S A. 1640 WTNI [Biloxi MS] --- Yesterday I moved my antenna
from its summer position (about 270 degrees) to the winter one (about
300). LA has been a dead loss from here this year although to be fair
I have been away a great deal.

I was rewarded with good reception today after months of very little
(conditions I think rather than the antenna move working a miracle).
It's probably been reported elsewhere but I noted that 1640 WTNI seems
to have abandoned sport. ID noted as "This is Classic Country 103.5
The Possum". Also 1680 KRJO noted with "99.7 My FM" [Monroe LA]
(Paul Crankshaw, Aug 21, MWCircle yg via DXLD)

Thanks, Paul. WTNI used to simulcast 1490 WANG sport "The Champ". The
change of 1490 WANG to "103.5 The Possum" and country format was
reported in March in MWN. However at that time 1640 WTNI retained the
sport format. Neither NRC nor IRCA have subsequently reported that
1640 WTNI has now rejoined 1490, ditching the sport format for
country. Wikipedia says that this change occurred in June 2019, but I
can't find independent confirmation. 73 (/Andrew Brade, ibid.)

Hello Andrew and Paul, 1640 WTNI still shown as ESPN in 2019/20
NRC Log and now amended. Best wishes & 73s (Barry :-) Carlisle UK.
Lat. 55.0119N, Lon. 2.9668W, Davies, ibid.)``

1000, Aug 27 at 0550, KTOK OKC is still on but audio breaks up; by
0616 dead air.

Other OKC AM signals seem nominal at 0550+, 930, 800 and 640. {further FM
and TV obs deleted here} (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 413 kHz, Sept 6 at 0547 UT, ND beacon YHD and dash, which
is 250 watts from Dryden, Ontario. I was tuned to 412-USB.

346 kHz, Sept 6 at 0615 UT, ND beacon YXL and dash, 500 watts from
Sioux Lookout, Ontario; I was tuned to 347-USB. Dozing off, there have
been more below. Glad to hear that not all the Y-stations have been
decommissioned yet (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 341 kHz, Sept 7 at 0603 UT, dash and YYU, 500 watts from
Kapuskasing, Ontario, no trouble overriding my local on 341, EI. Per
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/ndb.htm
this is ``TO BE DECOMMISSIONED 2019-10-10``
The same red warning is appended to several others I have extracted:

206 XBE Bearskin Lake ON 25
208 YSK Sanikiluaq NU 500
230 VG Vermilion AB 1000
230 YD Smithers BC 500
235 CN Cochrane ON 100
241 YGT Igloolik NU 500
257 YXR Earlton ON 205
260 YSQ Atlin BC 1000
266 YFH Fort Hope ON 200
269 ZW Teslin YT 1000
305 YQ Churchill MB 500
323 UWP Argentia NL 550
343 YGO Gods Lake Narrows MB 200
344 YOP Rainbow Lake AB 500
368 YJF Fort Liarrd NT 500
373 ZFM Fort McPherson NT 40
380 YUB Tuktoyaktuk NT 2000
391 TK Smithers - Telkwa BC 100

These are the only ones indicated with a specific date. A number of
others still in the list are already labeled Decommissioned (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 300 kHz, Sept 16 at 0622 UT, dash and YIV, 500 watt ND
beacon from Island Lake, Manitoba. Believe this be a new one for me.
Wikipedia: ``Island Lake is a small community in east central
Manitoba, Canada. The community is on several islands in Island Lake,
which is the 6th largest lake in the province. The community is
located 297 kilometers (185 mi) east from Thompson, Manitoba and 610
kilometers northeast of Winnipeg`` near the Ontario border. That makes
it 1965 km = 1221 miles from me. Bill Hepburn had reported that this
one was to be retained beyond 2026y rather than decommissioned.

218 kHz, Sept 16 at 0626 UT, dash and RL, 975 watt ND beacon from Red
Lake, Ontario.

332 kHz, Sept 16 at 0628 UT, dash and QT, 1000 watt ND beacon from
Thunder Bay, Ontario. Same time and frequency, IC, 400 watts from
Wichita, Kansas, but different pitches. Also two more from USA, q.v.

346 kHz, Sept 16 at 0630 UT, dash and YXL, 500 watt ND beacon from
Sioux Lookout, Ontario (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 293 kHz, Sept 7 at 0601 UT, ND beacon FBY, which is 25 watts
from Fairbury, Nebraska, logged a few times before. ATM I notice that
my line noise level abates below 300 kHz (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 326 kHz, Sept 16 at 0620 UT, MA, 400 watt ND beacon from
Midland TX. I was tuned to 324.

347 kHz, Sept 16 at 0631 UT, AFK, 25 watt ND beacon from Nebraska
City, NE. Also logged four from CANADA, q.v. (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 353 kHz, Sept 18 at 0648 UT, ND beacon LI, which is 400
watts from Little Rock, Arkansas; I was tuned to 351 (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)
UNIDENTIFIED. 569.94 approx., Sept 16 at 0636 UT, LAH against 570.0
stations. Nothing listed at mwoffsets (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 640, Sept 15 at 1308 UT and still 1315 UT, dead air from
KWPN Moore, but too much signal to let KFI thru this late; at least
Okies may still hear stupid sportstalk in English now on sibling 930
WKY (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 760, Aug 26 at 0150 UT, WJR is nulled as I am trying to ID
the Spanish LAH on the minus side, but more signal is coming from
something in English with ``Place for Mom`` national ad but then Glen
Beck plugging his show ``tomorrow at 7 am on Freedom 93-7, Real News,
Real Talk``. That`s now the branding of KDSP Thornton CO = Denver
market, U4 50/1 kW, obviously a flip from NBC Sports as of a year ago.
0159 UT ad with 303 areacode, 0200 Fox ``news`` sounder. I wonder if
KDSP employ digital signal processing?? Rather the call was likely
denoting ``Denver SPorts``. Now, FCC AM Query shows it`s KDFD as in
``Denver FreeDom``, since 6/25/2019. Official LSS in Aug is 0200 UT;
September 0115 UT.

As for 93.7, it`s a mere 99-watt translator in Lakewood, K229BS
[apropos call!], wagging the 760 dog; WTFDA DB still shows it
originating with ``KDSP`` 760 but does have the new slogan ``Freedom
93.7`` [sic, with a point] (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 780, UT Mon Aug 26 at 0142 UT, `StarDate` just ending on
WBBM Chicago --- probably reliably at 0140, also UT Sun? Our Okie
affils KUCO & KWOU skip it on weekends (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CANADA. 800, Sept 20 at 1111 UT, CKLW playing a clip from `The
Daily Show` about Trudeau`s brown-facing, W&M chat enjoying all the
attention Canada is getting as a result. KQCV OKC easily nulled (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 840, Sept 13 at 1204 UT, Spanish from N/S, ID in passing as
``Radio Aleluia``, fade by 1206. That`s KVJY Pharr TX in the RGV as
now listed in the NRC AM Log, religious format. --- I thought this was
the unlikely station being relayed by XEPRS 1090 BCN, but it wasn`t
religious. What is the status of that deal?

IRCA Mexican Log as of Sept 1 explains under 1090 XEPRS: ``// KPAV
[sic, typo?] 104.9 FM Alamo TX. No longer // XEPE 1700 AM. Ads and
announcers in English and Spanish. With no lessee, owner is relaying a
relative`s FM station. Mentions 840 AM on air (and on `About` page of
FB), but KJAV-FM is reportedly no longer // KVJY 840 AM`` (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 860, Sept 12 at 1224-1226 UT, KKOW Pittsburg KS is still
playing a polka every morning, with English lyrix, outro as ``--- Be
My Sweetheart``. Segment also greets birthdayers, in this case the DJ
himself who will take his day off tomorrow (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 870, Sept 7 at 1151 UT I`m up again hoping to ID the Spanish
gospel huxtering from the south which seems like it has to be KFJZ
Fort Worth, contrary to format listings. There he is; but at 1157, a
bit of hymn, no ID and sudden switch to another program, ``Renuevas
---`` algo, with a YL pushing something for $29 which seems to be
secular. Phone number frequently edited in with another OM voice,
1-888-366-2340. Reverse phone number uplooking is no fun unless you
are prepared to pay unknown websites. Fading down some, meanwhile
mostly separable XETAR fading up from 1202 past 1205; see MEXICO
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 870, Sept 13 at 1155 UT, screaming gospel huxter,
a mental case, in Spanish, --- ``¡¡¡Cristo viene!!!`` from N/S,
presumed KFJZ Fort Worth TX, but I would like to get an ID. Last time
he finished before 1200 but there was no legal ID before going right
into next infomercial. Today I clench my teeth (and eardrums?), and
keep listening. Keeps on right across ToH; at 1203 says he`s going to
terminate in 5 minutes --- but still going at 1208 when XERTA finally
gets started with XE NA from Chihuahua, barely audible from SW. And
*still* predicating by fade-out 1215, never hearing any local
references or contact info, but it was a sermon recorded in a
``noche``. All along there has been a medium SAH with WWL, which
despite easterliness, outlasts KFJZ. Could someone in The Metroplex
confirm whether KFJZ now be 100% Spanish, brokered miscellany? And
what slogan do they ever ID? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 870, Sept 14 at 1158 UT, must be KFJZ Fort Worth again,
gospel huxter in Spanish from the south giving phone 214-723-4520,
i.e. Dallas area code. Then a song/hymn with a tropical beat
frequently reuttering ``victoria`` and ``gloria``. By 1208, XETAR is
on and in again from the SW, separable as KFJZ is fading (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Sept 14 at 1203 UT, strong music east/west vs ~6 Hz SAH
with KRVN from the north, not Arkansas, but soon ID in English as
``KHAC Tse Bonito``, and KWIM, and KTBA, ``exalting the name of Jesus
across the nations``, i.e. AZ/NM reses. KHAC had been notable for
suppressed LSB, carrier plus USB only, so I recheck it both on the
DX-398 and R-75, finding that now it is DSB like almost all other
``AM`` stations, equally modulating on both sidebands!

Now I am wondering why I am not simulhearing as good or better signal
from 50/50 kW neighbor 660 KTNN? Because KHAC is obviously on 10 kW ND
day power instead of 430 watts night, both non-direxional; despite
official FCC Sept sunrise not until 1300 UT! (Oct: 1315 UT); while
KTNN would still be direxional away from us (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 930, Sept 4 at 0607 UT, WKY OKC nulled reveals a C2CAM
station, most likely WTAD Quincy IL, or maybe KWOC Poplar Bluff MO;
mixed with a sportstalk in English I will not attempt to guess (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) WKY was still Spanish ESPN-D

** OKLAHOMA. 930, Sept 10 at 0028 UT, WKY OKC in English! With the
demise of ESPN-D[eportes], what to do with this legacy station? Sports
talk in English! In fact, at 0047 plugs sibling station WWLS The
Sports Animal (98.1) which is also on KWPN 640 Moore, but not // at
the moment. At 0201 UT I find that 930 is // 640 but running 7 seconds
behind it. And again at 0620 UT when both are on ESPN Radio (in
English).

What a great variety Radio License Holding CBC, LLC are providing!
BTW, these two stations are not part of any other AM cluster in OKC.
according to FCC Licensee info. Oh, yeah?

At 1459 UT Sept 10, I monitor the ToH breaks on all three stations.
640 and 930 are not // but 930 is // 98.1, if not synched. At 1502
legal ID on 98.1 starts with WWLS, then a bunch of mostly AM
affiliates all over OK, to which WKY has been added at the end; as
part of Cumulus. And the same multi-station ID comes around 27 seconds
later on 930. But FCC AM Query shows Cumulus is *not* the licensee of
any AM station in OK. How about FM? Allegedly, ONLY ONE: 107.3 KOMS
Poteau! What is going on here? Well, RLH CBC LLC must be a subsidiary
of Cumulus, but why? Try to reach the former on Wikipedia and you are
redirected to Cumulus without explanation. Could CBC stand for the
obvious?

On FM, the following in OK are licensed to Radio License Holding CBC
LLC, per FCC FM Query: WWLS-FM 98.1 The Village [NW OKC suburb where I
used to live], KYIS 98.9 OKC, KATT 100.5 OKC, KKWD 104.9 Bethany.
Except for 104.9 which I could not hear anyway, the other three FM
would get knocked off the air simultaneously via storms.

WKY used to run some commercials and PubAffs shows in English; so now
will they insert anything in Spanish? When ESPN-D appeared, WKY
dismissed their ``La Indomable`` Spanish DJ staff. From Nov. 2014:
http://www.w4uvh.net/WKY930AM-ad.jpg

Former ESPN-D affiliates everywhere must be trying to find something
to replace it; will English or Spanish prevail? See my recent report
of 1650 KSVE El Paso TX (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 100.9, Aug 27 at 0558 UT I notice that the new K265FL
Enid translator of KGWA 960 is displaying on RDS as KGWA-FM! Is there
no rule against imaginary callsigns on RDS? And still no stereo
pilot, altho I have not checked during the detestable Sean Hannity,
whenever he`s on (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Sept 4 at 0630 UT, romantic song in Spanish loops
WSW/ENE, fitting KIJN Farwell TX, the perpetually cheating 10 kW
daytimer; repeated lyric, ``Quiero estar contigo``, i.e. Jesus rather
than romantic, and 0633 UT KIJN ID (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. 1090, Aug 31 at 0403 UT, dead air loops E/W, no doubt KAAY
Little Rock tho some understation talk is JBA. By 0405 KAAY revives
with country hymn (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1090, Sept 2 at 0248 UT, dead-air, loops E-W, no doubt KAAY
Little Rock again; understation something in Spanish, most likely KMXA
Aurora CO, ESPN-D, 50000/500 watts (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, Aug 26 at 1915 UT on caradio I notice that KLEY, 250
watts in Wellington KS, is back on the air, the first time noticed
since at least May 3. I haven`t checked for it every day but I`m sure
it hasn`t been for more than a week. 1929 ID as ``The Wave 100.3`` as
they have kept the ``translator`` of a silent AM station on the air as
I confirmed that at local range July 10. I`ll bet 1130 is gone again
before long, but it`s still JBA Aug 27 at 1943 UT vs HLNL (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, Sept 1 at 2248 UT, and Sept 2 at 1754 UT chex, music
from KLEY Wellington KS, still not off the air again (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, Sept 20 at 1853 UT check, KLEY Wellington KS is OFF
again. Still off at 1705 UT check Sept 21. It had been on since August
26 after a long hiatus since at least May 3 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1280, Sept 15 at 1317 UT, my semi-local KSOK Arkansas City
KS seems to be off; instead two weak signals: one from NE/SW with
gospel huxter, not its musical format; 1319 another fades up from
NW/SE with income-tax ad. 1329 first one into Lord`s Prayer and
benedixion, outro as a Lutheran program, 1330 KSOK ID! and into music.
So KSOK must be on power greatly reduced from 1 kW ND; axually I had
already noticed it weak yesterday.

As for the perpendicular signal, could be much-wanted KPRV Poteau OK,
or maybe WODT New Orleans, or KWHI Brenham TX. KBNO Denver might be
more likely except it`s listed Spanish.

1280 also has hiss from adjacent IBOC: I suspect de 1270, KRXO
Claremore OK, but NRC AM Log unshows it as I, rather KFLC 50 kW
Benbrook (Metroplex) TX, which is still in Spanish but can`t be from
defunct ESPN-D (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1280, Sept 16 at 1645 UT, KSOK Arkansas City KS is still
weak, QRP with music; nearing midday, only one GW signal from its
direxion. Could be on night power of 100 watts, instead of 1000 day,
500 watts PSRA. It`s only 106 km = 66 statute miles city-to-city
(Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1280, Sept 20 at 1853 UT check and Sept 21 at 1705, KSOK
Arkansas City KS still sounds much weaker than its usual 1 kW on
groundwave (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) and Sept 22

** U S A. 1480, Sept 22 at 1350 UT, KNGO Dallas in Vietnamese with no
QRM from closer KQAM Wichita which ought to be dominant by now; except
a slow SAH: maybe KQAM carrier on, but unmodulated. 1410 KGSO Wichita
is normally loud. See also 1520 log for more Vietnamese (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1490, Aug 30 at 1652 UT and still past 1730, DEAD AIR
form KMFS Guthrie, a tremendous improvement over the usual gospel
huxtering: no one at station may care, or cannot even stand it either
enough to monitor when it break down (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1490, Aug 30 at 2132 UT; Aug 31 at 1835 UT, KMFS Guthrie,
Jimmy Swaggart`s sobbery radio station, continues open carrier/dead
air, reconfirmed by DF from Guthrie direxion. I wonder if they know,
even care about this, back in Bâton Rouge (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1490, Sept 1 at 1434 UT check, KMFS Guthrie is *still*
open carrier/dead air. Ditto at 2248 UT Sept 1 and 1753 UT Sept 2
(Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1490, after open carrier/dead air since at least August
30, KMFS Guthrie is finally revived Sept 4 at 1755 UT with some
musical modulation, 1800 UT ID *only* as ``Son-Life Radio, WJFM, 88.5,
Bâton Rouge``, i.e.. flagship station of Jimmy Swaggart network, who
then starts gospelhuxtering (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1490, Sept 10 at 0625 UT, ``The Entertainer`` by Joplin on
piano is just ending as some signal is briefly atop the graveyard
jungle/jumble, then ``The Fabulous 1490, KDMO`` YL ID, seems to loop
NE/SW before fade. That`s Carthage MO, near Joplin, ENE. Could Scott`s
tunes be thematic for Joplinites? Still NOStalgia format. Previously
logged here Sept 7, 2017 at 1240 UT.

BTW, not to be confused with KDMO, the airport ID in Sedalia MO
beyond, which runs beacon DMO on 281 kHz as reported by Harold Frodge,
MI. Nor with Sedalia`s 1490 station, KDRO! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, Aug 28 at 0618 UT, stupid sports talk vs KOKC,
especially when nulled, but making fast SAH. In past this has proven
to be KOLM Rochester MN, must be on 10 kW day power rather than 800
watts night U8. KOKC has hobbled itself by refusing to fix its
tornado-damaged antenna, staying with STA of 10 or 12 kW ND, rather
than 50/50 kW U2 as it is still licensed, per new NRC AM Log, which
does not get into STAs no matter how non-temporary (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, Sunday Sept 22 at 1311 UT, W&M Vietnamese chat mixing
with KOKC OKC, almost same level thanx to KOKC`s self-attenuation; and
with slow SAH of almost 1 Hz, 56/minute = 0.93. From here, can`t null
one to hear the other. Obviously it`s KYND Cypress (Houston) TX active
again with such programming, and I wonder if it`s same as on 1560
KGOW? Yes! On second receiver they match with a slight echo. What
about 1480 KNGO Dallas? That one was supposedly duplicating KGOW. But
they are not, now and later chex; similar chat, but at times one is in
music, the others talking (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENIING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1539.95 approx., Sept 8 at 0602 UT, LAH against 1540.0
stations such as KXEL. I`ve been noticing this for some time. On MW
with all the QRM, it`s harder to measure to three decimal places. In
the past this has been KGBC Galveston TX. DF seems to fit, and
apparently it is off-minus still or again, as Terry Krueger, now moved
to Niceville FL in the Panhandle, has just reported to DXLD:

``1539.903, TEXAS, KGBC, 0918 August 28, 2019. Very poor, with
Mexi-tunes on peaks, and confirmed it's KGBC per D. Crawford who had
it a few days earlier and since on 1539.903. And not to be confused
with the still off-channel and variable KBOA Kennett MO on
1539.996-1540.005, this check on the low side with "Too Much, Too
Little, Too Late" by Denice Williams & Johnny Mathis.``

Per 2019/2020 NRC AM Log, which does not deal with offfrequenciness,
latest KGBC format is Tejano, U4 2500/250 watts. Beware, so is KEDA
San Antonio, Tejano, which I guess refer only to music style. However,
música is feminine, so why isn`t it called ``tejana``; machismo [where
the ch is not pronounced k!]? Also, is it possible for a station
outside Texas to be Tejano? Or e.g. if it play the same style of music
from OK, would it be ``Oclajomano``? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. Re the three 1540s in Texas, after my report of KGBC
Galveston off-frequency-minus, Stephen Luce, Houston replies:

``Glenn, KGBC is no longer running the Tejano format, having switched
to Spanish language religion a few months ago. During critical hours I
have heard KEDA underneath KGBC, so it might be them.

"Tejano" refers to Texas Hispanics (particularly south Texas) whose
families have lived in the state for many generations. The Tejano
music style enjoyed its peak popularity in the 1990's, but has fizzled
since then, with little new product being released. There have been
attempts to revive it on radio, but the listener demographics skew too
old, which is why the format failed on KGBC (not to mention the poor
1540 AM signal in the broader Houston market.)

Also, has anyone confirmed what co-channel KZMP in Dallas-Fort Worth
is now running following the demise of ESPN Deportes Radio?``

To which Mauno Ritola, Finland, replies: ``Stephen, they have been
heard relaying KXYZ 1320, but apparently not all the time? Seems to
carry ranchera, just checked, attached. KZMP 1540.mp3``

ID on that is ``La Ranchera 103.7`` --- but in the WTFDA FM DB, not a
single Texan of the dozen on 103.7 is Spanish, let alone ranchera, and
the local one for The Metroplex would surely be KVIL, still shown as
alternative rock. Or were they saying 106.7?? Hard to distinguish in
off-air-recording. YES! WTFDA DB already has it:

``KZZA 106.7 MUENSTER TX 75.0 75.0 620.0 620.0 33-26-13 97-29-05
Spanish 548E Title & Artist La Ranchera La Authentica [sic] Musica
Mexicana 106.7 FM Rock [sic] RANCHERA LA RANCHERA 106.7 //KZMP 1540``

One might expect Muenster to be speaking German rather than Spanish; a
town of 1.5 kilopersons, it`s way out west of Gainesville on the way
to Wichita Falls (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1580, Aug 27 at 0546 UT, emergency sounder and warning from
NWS Tulsa about storms in NW Arkansas, also loops E/W and not // 1020
KOKP; so this must be KHGG Vam Burem AR again, rather than KOKB
Blackwell OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, Sept 3 at 1830 UT, KOKB Blackwell is OFF, while
sibling 1020 KOKP Perry remains nominal; KOKB still off Sept 4 at
1755, 2105 UT: opens frequency for traces of two other groundwave
stations (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, Sept 6 at 1659 UT check, KOKB Blackwell is still
OFF. You`d never know it from http://tripleplaysportsradio.com (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, Sept 9 at 1757 UT, I notice that KOKB Blackwell is
back on the air; might have resumed Sept 8 before I noticed. Had been
off since at least Sept 3 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1590, Sept 17 at 0632 UT I find a strong dominant signal
with promo for Dave Ramsey on ``Smart Talk 1590, WCGO and 95-9 FM``,
0634 UT back to C2CAM. WCGO CoL is Evanston but tries to attach itself
to Chicago as the name implies. It`s U2 10/2.5 kW, with night pattern
aimed only NE! So for it to inboom here to the SW, it`s got to be on
day pattern ND and maybe day power too. Recheck next night, Sept 18 at
0350 UT, plug a website with chicago in it, but not as dominant,
losing to some Spanish from the south, see UNID.

NRC AM Log gives WCGO slogan ``The Talker`` instead and no FM. Per
WTFDA FMDB, 95.9 is, you guessed it, a mere 250-watt translator,
W240EH in Evanston, ``Chicago`s Smart Talk``. At least 1590 still gets
top billing as heard. And would you believe there is *another* 95.9
translator licensed to Evanston, W240DE relaying WKTA-1330. It is
however, only 80 watts, located 7 minutes, 1 second further north; 10
minutes, 29 seconds further west (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1590, Sept 18 at 0351 UT, as I just remonitored WCGO
from the NE, Spanish music upfades, romantic, then tropical. I get a
pretty sharp DF as due south/north, which per NRC AM Log points to
KDAE Sinton TX (Corpus Christi), Radio Aleluya, U4 1000/500 with
virtually no signal to the north. Other SS in TX is KMIC Houston, U2
5000/5000, Radio Libertad, at night Gulfward. Both listed as
Spanish/Religious. Of course, fade down if there were any ToH ID, then
back up while WCGO is in network news in English. One more
possibility, XEVOZ in CDMX, which is somewhat west of south, but 20/10
kW with POP E/S format per IRCA Mexican Log. The only Mexican left on
1590. Fred Cantú`s final 2015y roster still had four (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1590, Sept 19 at 0549 UT, Spanish music looping SSE, 0551
hymn ``El Señor es mi Pastor``. 0558 station address of ``15-90 AM``
in Pasadena, phone 713-586-13##, and tent. Radio Aleluya name, the
details correlating with KMIC, 5/5 kW U4. Supposedly beams into the
Gulf at night, but here we are oppositeward; swiveling the DX-398 on
my wrist-mount at 0559 also catch an ad from WCGO Evanston/Chicago,
which at night supposedly beams only to its northeast.

Why isn`t KMIC flooded? AM transmitter sites like swamps. Let`s see,
is the KMIC call a legacy of Radio Disney? Can we come up with a good
gospel slogan? Something better than ``Manantial Iesus Cristus``. This
DF is close but not the same as the due-south Spanish I previously had
from suspected KDAE Sinton/Corpus Christi. And certainly not KDAV
Lubbock to the SW, which Tim Hall thinx has also flipped to Spanish
based on an 806-AC phone number recorded by Paul Walker, WY (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re: why isn`t KMIC, 1590, address in Pasadena TX. flooded?
KMIC transmitter site is not around Pasadena = SE of Houston closer to
the coast, but NW of downtown Houston between Aldine and Spring Valley
and not far from White Oak Bayou, which is flood prone:

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv?site_no=08074020

https://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/index.php?config=&place=houston&state=tx&forecast=riversobs&gauge=HGTT2
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. A reply to my query, why isn`t 1590 KMIC flooded?

``Glenn, regarding KMIC: Although the transmitter site is near White
Oak Bayou in northwest Houston, that part of the metro area did not
get the same heavy rains as the eastern and southern parts. So the
water levels were up, but not enough to cause problems for KMIC.
Imelda was pretty much a non-event at my northwest Harris County QTH.

KMIC is listed as a U2 in WRTH and Radio-Locator also shows
non-directional daytime, so increased night coverage would indicate
they are not switching to the directional array.

KMIC is one of several sibling brokered time AM and FM stations in
greater Houston metro that runs Spanish language religion, sometimes
// depending on program bookings. Stephen Luce, Houston, Texas``

Stephen, glad you too are not flooded! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. 1630 kHz, Sept 20 at 0256 UT, pop/disco music with very
heavy beat timed at 124/minute, surely not what KKGM Ft Worth would be
playing. 0257.5, KCJJ Iowa City ID and into ``CBS News on the Hour``
--- but 2.5 minutes BEFORE the hour!!

I thought KCJJ was a talk station, but NRC AM Log shows split format,
also AC. Per
https://www.1630kcjj.com/show/hit-music/
`Hit Music` plays from 9 pm to 5 am CDT [02-10 UT], even more on
Sundays. Some personalities elsewhen may be DJs rather than talkers,
unclear.

Was the early news an aberration? Check again ~3 hours later, this
time not until 0558.0 UT does it ID and run `CBS News on the Hour`
only 2 minutes early. Dirty little secret which apparently still
applies: some major network news ``on`` the hour is pre-recorded a few
minutes before for flexibility and to allow quick fixes if anything go
wrong. If a total disaster, they can always try again really live on
the hour. But you would think affiliates would not give this away by
airing it early, especially when it`s titled ``On The Hour``! (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1650 kHz, Sept 6 at 1212 UT, rustic Mexmx and ``1650-AM,
cerca de su rancho`` slogans; loops WSW which is just right to
minimize 1640-KZLS, and my line noise from N/S. Must be KSVE El Paso
TX, 8500/850 watts, new format after defunct ESPN-D (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, Sept 20 at 0548 UT, NO signal from KRJO Monroe LA,
music station which normally dominates; instead music and WPRR ID from
Ada MI northeast; nulling that should reveal KRJO from the southeast,
but nothing except some other very weak signal from one of the four
other more distant US 1680s. Still no KRJO at 1136 UT, just a fast SAH
from somethings (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, Sept 21 at 0538 UT check, KRJO Monroe LA is back on
with rock music; had been AWOL the night before (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1690, Sept 18 at 0553, ``KDMT, Denver`s Money Talk, 16-90
AM``. I was thinking one of these Denver x-banders, or 1650? was
changing ownership and format, but can`t find it now (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re my log of KDMT 1690 Denver market which still exists,
Paul Walker, Laramie, explains: ``Glenn, KDMT 1690 was one of the
Salem Media stations sold to Relevant radio. Closing in 60-90 days
after filing. So they could take over as early as mid October I think.
Paul`` (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. During a break in my high local line noise level affecting
MW as well as SW, at midday Sept 3, I decide to try something
different: MW bandscan at 1 kHz below each 10-kHz channel in USB, to
``hear the hets``. Even tho this is far from an ideal quiet location
and far from ideal equipment (R75 with 100` E-W longwire, meaning it`s
a bit deaf to the N/S, such as not hearing 820 WBAP), I listen for
frequencies with more than one carrier beating --- some of them very
slow, to slow, to medium, to fast --- and skipping those with no
signal or definitely only one signal. It would take a *lot* more time
to count the beats and calculate each SAH.

This indicates that there are remnants of groundwave from some
second-tier stations around here I seldom or never hear in the clear.
Of course, I am not interested in amassing station totals so am making
no such claims, just an exercise in monitoring and propagation. I will
include the most likely sources based on proximity, top station first.
Remember that we do have some of the highest inland ground
conductivity around here, in the 30s.

I do this between 1840 and 1903 UT Sept 3, i.e. just after local mean
noon always at 1832 UT, when there will be the *least* possibility of
MW skywave, especially now still in summer. Some frequencies with one
fairly strong semi-local seem to be wobbling; hard to be certain if
transmitter fault or receiver overload. As usual when tuning MW or LW
on this receiver, both Preamp 2 and Preamp 1 are OFF. But further ATT
is not engaged. And of course there is no DFing with the LW.

Quite possibly no other DX editor will wish to dedicate the space to
publish this, but here it is in my original log report, which took at
least twice as long afterwards to compile as to carry out.

Reference for current listings and callsigns: NRC AM Log 2019-2020.

1600, v? KUSH OK
1590, slow: KVGB KS, KWEY OK [closer but not aimed thisaway]
1580, fast, while KOKB OK is OFF!! That leaves KHGG AR, KGAF TX
1570, slow, KTUZ OK, KTAT OK, KBCV MO
1560, fast, KEBC OK, WMBH MO, KABI KS
1540, medium, KNGL KS, KZMP TX
1500, slow, KPGM OK, KJIM TX
1480, irr., KQAM KS, KNGO TX
1460, medium, KZUE OK, KKOY KS, KCLE TX
1450, medium, 3-way, KGFF OK, KSIW OK, KWHW OK, KQYX MO, KWBW KS
1430, medium-fast, KTBZ OK, KALV OK
1420, slow, KTJS OK, KJCK KS, KULY KS
1400, irregular, KWON OK, KREF OK
1350, fast, KMAN KS, KTLQ OK
1340, medium, KGHM OK, KJMU OK
1320, KCLI OK way off frequency
1310, medium, KYUL KS, KZRG MO
1280, slow 2.2 Hz, KSOK KS, KPRV OK
1270, show, KRXO OK, KSCB KS, KFLC TX
1260, fast, KWSH OK, KSGF MO
1250, fast, KYYS MO, KRRD AR
1240, medium, KFH KS, KADS OK
1220, very slow, KTLV OK, KCAX MO, KOFO KS
1190, medium, KFXR TX, KVSV KS
1150, fast, KSAL KS, KNED OK
1140, fast, KRMP OK, KLTK AR
1130, very fast, KLEY KS, KWKH LA
1090, medium, KEXS MO, KVOP TX
1070, KFTI KS way off frequency
1060, medium, KIJN TX, KBFL MO
1050, fast, KGTO OK, KXCA OK
1040, medium, KGGR TX, WHO IA, KGWA 960 OK spur
1030, medium-fast, 3-way, KFAY AR, KBUF KS, KCWJ MO
1010, medium, KTNZ TX, KIND KS
990, medium, KFCD TX, KRSL KS
940, medium, KIXZ TX, KSWM MO
860, irregular, KKOW KS
790, fast, KURM AR, KXXX KS, KFYO TX
760, slow, KCCV KS, KDFD CO
710, slow, KGNC TX, KCMO MO
670, slow, KLTT CO, KHGZ AR, WSCR IL
660, medium, KSKY TX, KCRO NE
640, irregular, KWPN OK
570, very slow, WNAX SD, KLIF TX
560, fast, KWTO MO, KLZ CO
540, medium, KDFT TX, KWMT IA
(Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Until the next, Best of DX and 73 de Glenn Hauser

--- End Message ---