For me that just works with a namespace
what I do is I have my assemblies in a folder bin in my application but that
could be what ever

I call require 'bin/AssemblyName.dll'

In that assembly I have a namespace MyNamespace.Model

then I can do
include MyNamespace::Model

if that namespace contains a class called Message I can now use it as
message = Message.new
message.content = "The body of the test message"

puts message.content

I don't know if you know about this but Rails 2.0 has a component
ActiveResource which should replace ActiveWebservice.
That component allows you to use the resources (if you're using the restful
routing that is) you've exposed for your rest application and on the client
side you can use that same active resource stuff to create proxies and do
queries against that rest service in a fairly nice way.

hope this helps
Ivan