From: ironruby-core-boun...@rubyforge.org
[mailto:ironruby-core-boun...@rubyforge.org] On Behalf Of Wayne Meissner
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2010 4:57 PM
To: ironruby-core@rubyforge.org
Subject: Re: [Ironruby-core] How could I get RPC in iron ruby?

Performance is one negative - since most of the logic that would normally be
implemented in C, Java or C# is implemented in Ruby, it will be slower.  Libxml
is callback heavy, and depending on how well the FFI impl handles these, the
rather large number of transitions between ruby and the native lib costs a lot.

Portability is another - with a pure-ruby or C# impl, you don't need to worry
about having the appropriate native lib on the system - its plug and play.
libxml is also a pretty nasty api to bind using something like FFI, and
nokogiri really pushes FFI, so until you have a really complete FFI impl,
you'll have stability problems.

In hindsight, I think JRuby would have been better served by just going for a
java impl of nokogiri upfront rather than the nokogiri-over-FFI stopgap.