On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Gerwin Klein wrote:

I don't mind either way, but I'd like to point out that the _tac instantiations are everything but out of fashion. I'm fully aware that they are bad style, rely on dynamic names, etc, but there is no way around them if you write apply style.

Having observed the conceptual problems already many years ago, I am also fully aware that the res_inst_tac variants still occur in practically important proof script. At some point one should seriously revisit the question why this is so, and what needs to be done to make a significant step forward (away from adhoc instantiations).

        Makarius