On Thu, 4 Oct 2012, Florian Haftmann wrote:

I think either option 3 or 4 would make sense, although I'd say 4 is
preferable for a couple of reasons: First, it makes the implementation
of typedef simpler. Second, it actually gives users more flexibility
because if they want a set constant, they can use any definition
package, not just "definition". The extra verbosity in some cases is a
small price to pay.

I would support (4). In the long run, typedef should be the bare foundational minimum for introducing HOL types

I also remember it like that -- most package authors were already in favour of (4) "open only without option" some years ago, but we never made the move.

        Makarius