On Wed, 10 Oct 2012, Ondřej Kunčar wrote:

This problem refers to 3fc6b3289c31.

If I type in this simple formalization

lemma c: "x = x"
by metis

thm c

the following theorem is printed "?x = ?x [?]". What is that suspicious question mark? It seems to be produced by any metis call. And it is reproducible almost always.

This is the normal result of printing Thm.status_of in the traditional way. It is now getting in the way, because terminal proofs ('by') are always parallel in Isabelle/jEdit.

I am about to rework this critical kernal status information, but it requires some more thinking. Last time I changed something there, it was immediately reported as "problem" that fewer [!] were printed as before.

        Makarius