On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, Alexander Krauss wrote:

Thanks Alex, it always helps if someone else with substantial experience explains things, so that I am not the lone voice in the desert. I let your nice explanations stand as is.

The area of your issue (interaction with the underlying ML system) is maintained by Makarius pretty much exclusively.

Just one concrete note here: it is David Matthews working here with me for many years, to make it work very smoothly with Poly/ML while keeping SML/NJ and older versions of Poly/ML on board somehow. I started myself with ML pretty printing already in 1993, and can't say that will ever be finished. In the mid-1990-ies there were certain gross shortcomings that were even officially documented.

Note that when I venture myself to propose actual "patches" to Poly/ML, the first thing David usually does is to turn the idea behind it in a proper implementation in the sense of his code base, where he is the proven expert. I am glad that he does take the time, and not just apply the proposed patch and thus endanger the system integrity.

Also note that when I "improved" myself exception printing just some months before the Isabelle2013, I messed up SML/NJ in a subtle way that was not immediately visible. As a consequence some software archeologists who try to reactivate Isabelle2013 in the distant future will have problems working with it practically, because ML errors just produce "exception Option raised".

So a change can never be a "fix". It is just some entropy on the code base. Special efforts and attention is required to keep a positive balance in the end.

        Makarius