> You can contribute indirectly to important reforms that are in the
> pipeline for a long time by keeping your sources in a more up-to-date
> state.

As you said, there seems to be no other way of achieving what I
required. I realized that, added a comment (*Argh!*) expressing my
disgust about it, but at the end had to implement the hack in order to
get the desired behaviour.

Now you just removed the desired behaviour, not having a solution how to
get it back ... fortunately, in this particular case, it is not
essential, as this thing was inside some rarely used debugging tool.

--
  Peter