On Sun, 11 Oct 2015, Lawrence Paulson wrote:

This suggestion was mine. Although “proposition” can mean many things, we are talking about mathematical developments. Quite a common convention is to reserve “theorem” for one or two main results, and “lemma” for technical results of no general interest, leaving “proposition” as the main vehicle for developing a theory. This will be especially important when people create papers directly from Isabelle theories.