On Sun, 31 Jan 2016, Lars Hupel wrote:

As of 527488dc8b90, there are five sessions which contain theories that
are only processed under ISABELLE_FULL_TEST=true:

HOL-ex
   Sudoku
HOL-Datatype_Examples
   Brackin
   IsaFoR
   Misc_N2M
HOL-Word-SMT_Examples
   SMT_Tests
HOL-Quickcheck_Benchmark
   Find_Unused_Assms_Examples
   Needham_Schroeder_No_Attacker_Example
   Needham_Schroeder_Guided_Attacker_Example
   Needham_Schroeder_Unguided_Attacker_Example
HOL-Record_Benchmark
   Record_Benchmark

Most of these appear to be benchmarks of some sort.

I've looked a bit through the sources and the history to infer the intended semantics. The condition ISABELLE_FULL_TEST was introduced to guard sessions that are slow and relatively irrelevant for meaningful testing, typical "benchmarks".

There are also some exceptional situations like HOL/ex/Sudoko.thy and AFP/thys/Flyspeck-Tame/ArchComp.thy, but the special case for Sudoko looks irrelevant today, so Flyspeck is just a singularity; it needs special treatment anyway.

What remains are various benchmarks. We could move these sessions to ~~/src/Benchmarks and omit that directory in ~~/ROOTS. Thus it can be included on demand like this:

  isabelle build -d '~~/src/Benchmarks' -a

or like this:

  isabelle build -D '~~/src/Benchmarks'

This avoids more sophisticated Boolean algebra on session groups. It also makes clear from the source structure, what is normally not tested.

I basically do the same with -d '$AFP' all the time.

Meta-remark: I am presently still on the isabelle-release branch, with some modifications of ROOT files that still need to be merged back. This explains my reluctance to make bigger changes right now.

        Makarius