On 24/11/2018 19:51, Makarius wrote:
> *** General ***
>
> * The font family "Isabelle DejaVu" is systematically derived from the
> existing "DejaVu" collection, with variants "Sans Mono", "Sans", "Serif"
> and styles "Normal", "Bold", "Italic/Oblique", "Bold-Italic/Oblique".
> The DejaVu base fonts are retricted to well-defined Unicode ranges and
> augmented by special Isabelle symbols, taken from the former
> "IsabelleText" font (which is no longer provided separately).

Side-remark: this works via "isabelle build_fonts -d
dejavu-fonts-ttf-2.37/ttf"

The Isabelle/Scala sources of this tool should be obvious, see
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/file/395c4fb15ea2/src/Pure/Admin/build_fonts.scala

In the past, people have occasionally pointed out that the standard
Isabelle font is a bit boring. If there are other high-quality fonts to
be considered for the Isabelle font portfolio, I am interested to hear
about them.

Of course, it is also possible to use private Isabelle-derivatives of
existing fonts, such as some Apple fonts that are provided with macOS.
(These are usually non-free and we cannot ship them by default.)

It is generally better to have all special glyphs in a single font where
all sizes are carefully fit together, instead of implicit or explicit
multi-font assembly in GUI frameworks.

        Makarius