On 25/01/2018 18:59, Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) wrote:

Stewart -

*From:*Stewart Bryant [mailto:stewart.bry...@gmail.com]
*Sent:* Thursday, January 25, 2018 4:32 AM
*To:* Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>; Acee Lindem (acee) <a...@cisco.com>; Alia Atlas <akat...@gmail.com>
*Cc:* OSPF List <o...@ietf.org>; isis-wg@ietf.org
*Subject:* Re: [Isis-wg] Link-State Routing WG charter

Les

I agree wrt L2

Isn't another focus collecting the information to feed into an SDN controller via BGP-LS? That is really network layer state collection rather than routing in the traditional sense.

*/[Les:] Please do not propose such language. This raises the old discussion about using the IGPs as a transport for “just about anything”./*

*/We long ago agreed that TE related information was “routing information” – if for no other reason than it was grandfathered in. But this does not alter the IGP’s focus on routing./*

*/I know we “stretch” the definition with things like MSD and S-BFD discriminators, but I see these as carefully considered choices – and ones w modest impact./*

*/Institutionalizing the IGPs as an “SDN Distribution Protocol” is not something I want in the charter./*

*/Les/*

*//*

Hi Les,

I don't see it quite like that.

I don't think we flood a lot of the SDN specific information do we? We just use the LSP data structures as a convenient encoding, and supplement the information we flood with additional information.

If we were flooding it I would share your concern, but I don't see the reuse of the syntax which is what BGP-LS does as quite such a problem.

Am I missing something here?

- Stewart

- Stewart