them and their ways.

By Ed Koch
World Tribune
Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Should the U.S. back the generals or accept an Islamist Turkey?

An interesting and vital question in today's international maelstrom is, what
should the U.S. government's position be toward Turkey? What should we do if
the Turkish army - which has long regarded itself as the guardian of Turkey's
secular form of government - decides to take action against Turkey's
democratically elected government?

The Turkish army has held the keys to power since the death of Kemal Ataturk,
who radically reformed Turkey's government and culture. The army has exercised
its perceived prerogative to oust Turkish national civil governments four times
since 1960, and may do so again.

Turkey's army command sent signals it was opposed to the selection of Abdullah
Gul as president of Turkey. The army perceives Gul to be an Islamist and
supporter of a religion-dominated government. Nevertheless, in a recent
national election the Turkish people reelected the Justice and Development
Party. Based on its huge electoral victory in a subsequent election held by the
parliament, that party voted to elect Abdullah Gul as president of Turkey by a
vote of 339 to 83.

The military command conveyed its upset by declining to attend the
inauguration, a clear signal that its opposition to the presidential selection
remains.

If the Turkish military leaders - who see themselves as the guardians of a
secular Turkey and fear Mr. Gul and his party will gradually whittle away at
the secularity of the Turkish government - steps in and supersedes the civil
government imposing military rule to protect a continued secular Turkey, should
the then U.S. president, the U.S. Congress, national media and our nation's
other leaders denounce the Turkish military in such event and call for
sanctions against them?

When the Algerian military in 1992 stopped the then pending second round of the
national election because it was clear that were the election to go forward,
the fundamentalist Islamic party, Islamic Salvation Front (F.I.S.) would win,
deposing the National Liberation Front (F.L.N.), a secular party which had
ruled Algeria since its independence achieved in 1962, and seek to implement
its official slogan, "No Constitution and no laws. The only rule is the Koran
and the law of God."

The New York Times in an editorial of August 24, 1993 after the F.L.N. with the
support of the military cancelled the elections, inveighed, "Algeria, with
opportunities for peaceful change rapidly disappearing and its unpopular
government clinging to power by military force, slides deeper into the sterile
politics of death." The article went on, "Most Western governments winked when
Algeria's army seized power in January 1992 to deny the Islamic movement a
victory it had won in parliamentary elections." It continued, "Had the Islamic
movement been allowed to assume parliamentary power, would it have been any
less repressive, or more competent, than the army? No one can know."

On May 17, 2007, after a bloody civil war which claimed at least 100,000 lives,
the Algerian military allowed an election to be held and the secular, current
Algerian civil government led by the F.L.N., won.

Was that preferable to the Islamist F.I.S. taking power? I think so.

If Musharraf of Pakistan, Mubarak of Egypt, King Abdullah II of Jordan, King
Abdullah of Saudi Arabia - all leaders of authoritarian-style governments -
were to allow fair elections in their countries, there is little doubt but that
the Islamic party religious fundamentalists in those countries wanting to
impose Sharia (which among other penalties provides for the cutting off of
hands for those who steal and the stoning to death of those who commit adultery
or acts of homosexuality) and restore the caliphate with one religious leader
in command of all of the Islamic republics, would prevail.

Would that be good or bad for the U.S. and the Western world? Is the conclusion
reached responding to that question a legitimate reason for our response in
seeking as best we can an avoidance of such an outcome? I think it definitely
is and that first and foremost as their obligation for any president and
Congress is the protection of the U.S. from foreign attack. I fear there are
many in Congress, the media and the public who would conclude, it is the choice
of the people of those countries and we have to live with it.
What would former President Jimmy Carter say? I have no doubt he would denounce
any action on the part of the U.S. to assist those in those countries seeking
to prevent such an outcome.

I for one believe we would be fools not to intervene and support those seeking
to stop the rise of another Islamic state bent on our destruction. I believe
Senator McCain best summed up what our response should be in like situations
when he said, "There's only one thing worse than the United States exercising
the military option, that is, a nuclear-armed Iran."

Edward I. Koch, who served as mayor of New York City from 1978 to 1989, is a
partner in the law firm of Bryan Cave.

Article link:
http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2007/ss_koch_09_04.asp

Kirim email ke